21.

The First Wound

"I LIVE in fear

"I LIVE in fear. It consumes me. In the early evening when I see the sun begin to fade, the fear comes because I know that the night brings death."

   As much as she had wanted to sit in her room and draw, something she hadn't done in a while, Florence was sent a text from Damon about meeting him at a warehouse and found herself standing outside of the building, phone in hand. With an irritated sigh, she unlocked her car and sped to the back entrance, missing Caroline as she walked away from the raven-haired vampire with an equal amount of vexation.

   Damon lifted the compass in his hand once he saw her, smirking at how it struggled to point between both of them at the same time. Florence, confused at how the object in his hand was acting, nodded toward it.

   "Why do you have a compass?"

   He grinned, placing it in his front pocket. "It detects vampires."

   "You know," she began, feigning innocence, "I'm never surprised when you say all these dorky things. What's next — are you hiding a collection of comic books in your room?"

   "Wouldn't you like to know?"

   She rolled her eyes and followed him into the warehouse, a chill going down her spine at its dark and rustic interior. A voice in the back of her mind, her much smarter conscience, yelled at her to leave the building immediately, but she drowned it out with thoughts of why the older Salvatore had asked for her to meet him at the strange building in the first place.

   As they were advancing into the room, Damon placed his hand on her chest, motioning for her to stay behind. Still puzzled, she didn't question his actions but kept close behind, hiding next to a large array of boxes as he walked forward.

   Suddenly, she heard a couple gunshots go off and her stomach dropped. Her first instinct was to run to Damon and see if he was okay, her heart thudding in her chest faster than ever. She flinched at the blood that covered his chest, her own hands crimson red with how she had placed them on his shoulders.

   Her ears perked up at the cocking of a gun and she raised her head, revealing a murderous Logan Fell standing before her. Her breath hitched in her throat, eyes wide and legs planted on the ground.

   Before she could get up, he pointed the gun at her and shook his head, warning, "I have tons of these wooden bullets, so nothing funky unless you wanna join your vampire friend over here."

   Damon groaned, head resting on Florence's chest as he strained out, "You touch her and I'll kill you."

   The next few seconds happened to fast and, before she knew it, Florence was clutching her shoulder in pain, shrieking out at the shock that went down her arm. Damon, his own stinging pain leaving his head, shielded her quickly, taking the next bullet that left Logan's gun.