12. The apartment

5 years later...

"Yes, mom. Everything is fine," I tell her irritated over the phone.

"And how was the apartment?" she ask.

"I didn't like it, it was narrow and smelly," I say, breathing heavy of tiredness. I sit down in a cafe with my warm coffee.

"I guess you just have to keep looking"

"Yeah, I guess so. I am getting impatient this is the fifth time. And they have all been bad, " I say, taking a sip from my coffee.

"Well, it is New York, honey. You will find it eventually," she says encouraging.

"Yeah, I hope so, how is dad?" I ask, smiling as an old woman walks pass me.

"He is fine, sitting and watching that TV all day, " she says, she raises her voice louder, so he could hear her. My parents have always been funny. We have always been an open family. Well, not about everything, perhaps.

"How are the twins?" I ask.

"Oh, they are great. Dexter is doing great at collage and Damon, well you know Damon. Always looking for trouble," she says laughing. I laugh too.

"That sounds great, sorry mom, but I have to go Oliver just showed up, " he sits down in front of me with his own coffee.

"Okay, you have fun then, goodbye" I put my phone down.

"Still no luck on that apartment thing?" he asks and raise his eyebrows.

"No, " I say, shaking my head.

"Well, something will show up, " he says smiling. Oliver has always been so kind. Since the day I met him. Easy to talk to, knows all of my secrets, those my family do not even know. It is good to have that kind of friend to be there for you when your life is completed, fucked up. He even told me that I am the best friend a guy could ever have. Just because every time we see a hot girl we both watch her, and rate her, like assholes do. He could never have done it with his other of his girl friends. Oliver told me he did it on accident, he forgot it was not me, he was with and he got a punch in the face for that. I swear his nose looked bad for weeks and I could not stop laughing.

The worst thing that has happened between us was when he met my family. They loved him, I think they love him more than me. My mom could not stop talking about how cute we were together and that we would fit each other perfectly. After that, I have not managed to tell my family, about my love life. Telling my family that I love women rather than guys, come on, it is painful enough to just think about it.

I wake up to the most annoying sound, it screams in my ears. I realize it is my stupid phone. Why the hell is my alarm clock on, I do not need one. As I reach my phone and look at it, it says "mom" oh. I am an idiot, just in the morning though.

"Hello?" I say.

"Hey, honey. Are you awake?"

"Well, now I am!" I say irritated.

"What time is it?" I ask.

"It's eight in the morning" and you are calling me why?

"What is it?" I ask, and yawn.

"Oh yes, I found an apartment online it looks really good. And I think it fits you." I sit up in bed, more awake than a second ago.

"Tell me more," I ask, now in a better mood.

"It is big, amazing view over the park, big sleeping rooms, well, everything is about the size you want. But there is a catch." she stops talking. Oh, it is my turn.

"What's the catch?" I ask.

"You have to live with a roommate, if you want it," she tells me and I can hear a deep breath on the line. I haven't lived with a roommate since, since collage. Not a good memory, it was five years ago now. It changed my entire life. I do not want to think about it.

"When can I look at it?" I ask.

"I can come with you," she says and I get surprised that she wants to go with me.

"Yeah, that would be great, " I say smiling. Well, not that she can see it, but a smile for myself.

"I will come on Friday and then we can take a look at it"

"Yes, I see you then" I tell her and then end the conversation.

Finally, it is Friday; I have been waiting like a little kid for its candy. Jumping up and down so excited. I was so glad she said she could join me on this one. I hope it brings good luck, I need it. I see her just some meters away. Wearing a black dress and high heels. I can't see her eyes because of her big sunglasses. She walks over to me.

"Hey, honey, " she says and gives me a big, long hug.

"I missed you, mom" I tell her.

"I missed you too, darling, " she says, smiling and kiss my cheek.

"Shall we?" I ask, handing her my arm and she wraps her arm around mine. As we come up we knock on the door a man in a navy blue suite opens the it. He looks handsome at my age. Short, light hair and a little beard on his face.

"Welcome, " he says and gesture us in. As we walk in, the first thing that hits me is the big windows that show the big view of the park, just as my mom said. It is beautiful maybe a little dark, but l like it. It looks like a rich man's house. The walls are dark gray, the furniture is black. The apartment is open from the kitchen to the living room.

"My name is Andrew, nice to meet you.," he says and we all shake hands. "Well, I guess we can start. There are two bedrooms, and one bathroom. If you are interested, you have to share it with someone else. The other women how is going to share it has not afforded to leave her alone" I do really like this, it is amazing or better said perfect.

"If you are not going to take it, I am going to," my mom says. Both Andrew and I laugh at her joke.

"So, are you interested?" he asks as I walk around the whole place. I look into both rooms look just the same. Same big bed in the middle of the room, they have the same color as the living room. The bathroom is as the same size as the bedrooms. It looks so clean, that I could swear I saw my own reflection on the floor.

"Where do I sign?" my mom says, knocking the air out of Andrew and me again. She is insane, but I love her. Well, I do not really have a choice on that part.

"What she said," I tell him.