22. The smile

I wake up to feel the warmth on my face; I open up my eyes and see the sunshine outside. Then I close my eyes again and sit up to stretch my body.

"Hey, beautiful" I hear, my favorite voice in the whole world and it sounds husky. I open my eyes to look at her and I remember where I am. My smile fades as I look at Dani. She is smiling, but looks really messed up.

"No, no, no don't let that smile go," she says and reach to touch my face, but she moves back and I can see on her face she wants to scream of pain. She put her hand over her broken ribs. I sit here frustrated.

"Tell me what to do" I ask her, feeling a lump in my throat. Through the pain, she smiles to me.

"I want you to come here and kiss me," she says smiling and I cannot return it, but I lean over to her and kiss her, slowly on the lips. Then I sit back down in the chair.

"Do you know what time it is?" Dani ask. I take up my phone and look at it.

"Its 8.30" I answer. She smile as a response.

"Did it hurt?" I ask, not looking at her.

"When I fell in love with you? Yes of course it did. Every fall is painful, but really, it is the matter of how you land. The fall ended up pretty soft after all" she says happy. I look up at her confused; did she avoid my real question? Still she looks at me smiling with her wounded face.

"Dani" I look at her worried. She smiles to me as if it is all right.

"Don't talk to me like everything is okay, that you are not in pain. I can see it all in your face, that you just want to scream every time you move, even when you breathe" I tell her feeling a tear running down my cheek. She moves up to me.

"No, don't" I tell her and move towards her. She clenches her teeth, can see it on her jaw.

"Do you remember what you told me the day you hit me in the face?" I ask. Her eyes harden, thinking.

"You told me to never lie to you, when I was in pain. Can you please do the same?" I ask, crying.

"Okay fine" she says, surrendered.

"It hurts like hell, everything hurts, but the thing that hurts the most is the look in your eyes. I do not want you look at me as if I am going to disappear, because I am not. The only thing I want to see in that gorgeous face of yours is that smile. That makes me feel like everything is going to be okay. Okay?" she says breathless.

"Sorry, it hurts to breath" she says. I kiss the tears on her face away and then her mouth. Then I sit back in the chair.

"It is okay" I tell her and smile and she smiles back.

"There is that smile, I have been waiting for" She says, satisfied, making me smile even brighter.

"Can you come in here?" Dani ask. I study the bed.

"Isn't it too small for the both of us?" I ask back.

"We can at least try," She says shrugging, with cute smile. I shake my head.

"No, you need to rest. So lay back down and try to sleep or something, and I can see if I can find any food for you," I tell her.

"Oh my god" Dani says satisfied with her food. I went to burger king to get us something good, since the food I found here did not look so good. She eats it as if it is the first time she have tasted a burger.

"Stop eating like that" I snap.

"What?" she ask annoyed.

"The way you eat, it is like you... You know" I say embarrassed, taking my hand up to my face to hide myself. She burst out in laughter and then she stops and groans. She takes her hand on her ribs, and breaths out slowly.

"Did my eating turn you on?" she ask and grins. I shake my head and smile to her with a small laugh.

"You are unbelievable," I tell her and take a bit of my burger.

"And you are beautiful" She looks at me with a small smile on her face. I take her hand in mine.

"I love you"

"I love you to Valentine," she says warm.