Chapter One

"Can I help you miss?"a man with sleek brown hair and sad blue eyes asked. He looked like he wasted three bottles of gel just to keep that hair up.

This was Eliza's first day as a detective for the Special Victims Unit and she was practically shitting bricks. She nervously held a box of sentiments, unsure of how to respond.

Before she could say anything, a woman with medium length brown hair and brown eyes walked up beside the guy with a smile. "Who's the girl Carisi?"

"Uh I'm not sure. She wouldn't tell me," the guy, who now Eliza knew was named Carisi responded with a shrug.

"Sorry I'm the new transfer? Eliza Chapman," she finally spoke, fidgeting her hands with the edges of her box.

"Oh right, nice to meet you Chapman. I'm your new sergeant, Olivia Benson," she smiled and held out a hand. Eliza returned the smile as she shook her hand briefly. Olivia looked much different than Eliza had expected her to be. She imagined her new boss would be an old, bitter woman but was glad to meet such a young, kind leader. "Let me introduce you to the others."

She led her down the hall into a large room filled with desks, computers, and papers and files scattered everywhere. People were either pacing around the room or glued to their computers. It was quite a busy environment.

"Guys I want you to meet Detective Eliza Chapman. She'll be working here from now on. Eliza, this is Amanda Rollins, Fin Tutuola, Nick Amaro, and you've already met Sonny Carisi."

"Welcome to SVU," Fin greeted as he sipped coffee from his mug.

"Nice to meet you," both Amanda and Nick said as they glanced up from their desks.

"Nice to meet you all too," Eliza waved nervously. These people seemed pleasant. She could tell they weren't head over heels for the newbie but at least she wasn't hated.

"Your desk will be right across from Carisi and he'll be your new partner. Carisi, show the new girl the ropes," Olivia ordered and headed back into what Eliza had presumed was her office.

"The name's Dominick Carisi, but you can call me Sonny," he smiled as he led her to her desk, "So where'd you transfer from? You look young."

"Right out of John Jay."

"Wait-the university? So you've had no actual experience in the field?" Sonny looked practically appalled.

"I was the top of my class. And I value knowledge more than experience," she shrugged, "I was supposed to be sent to go into Organized Crime Control but I convinced my commander in chief to send me to SVU."

"You turned down OCCB for this? No offense for asking, but why?"

"Eh, I feel like I'd be better in more personal, sensitive cases rather than just gang violence," she shrugged as she started to unpack her stuff. She didn't bring much other than some pictures of friends and family, a few mementos.

"Understandable," Sonny nodded, settling back to his seat across from her. "I used to work in narcotics."

In the spur of the moment, Olivia bursted out her office with a look of urgency. "Okay we've got reports of a sixteen year old girl found unconscious in a dumpster. She's currently at St. Luke's hospital in Harlem right now. Carisi, Chapman, I'm gonna need you two to go head down there to interview the girl. Fin, you and I are gonna go interview the guy who found her."

"Ready for your first case?" Sonny smiled at Eliza as he stood up, grabbing his jacket.

"Already? It's just my first day," she widened her eyes in disbelief, standing up as well.