Chapter Sixteen

"Alright, he responded. He wants to pick me up from home. What do I say?" Eliza asked, looking at the message board.

"Give him the address to one of our rigged houses," Olivia told her, reading the screen from behind.

"Okay," she nodded and took out a file, searching for an address.

"Are you sure you want to go through with this Eliza?" Sonny asked, still not fond of the idea.

"I'll be fine," she shrugged, "Plus there will be back up in case something goes wrong."

"I know, but this guy is smart. He managed to rape and kill three women and got away with it," Sonny noted.

"Well I'm smarter," she told him confidently.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"We've got eyes on him. He's in a black Honda Civic," Sonny messaged through his walkie talkie as he watched the house the police had rented out from afar while inside a black van with Nick.

"Copy that Carisi, can you read his license plate?" Olivia asked. She and the rest of the crew were in another van disguised as a cleaning service van, a few blocks away.

"I can't really see. It's too dark," he sighed in frustration.

"Hey, she's walking out," Nick pointed to Eliza, who had walked out of the house, getting into the car with the guy. "Start up the engine, they're on the move."

Sonny nodded and waited a few seconds, putting some distance between them before he followed.

"You look nothing like your profile pic," Eliza muttered once the guy started up the car.

"Yeah that was a really old picture," he shrugged. Even he knew that was a terrible lie.

"Who are you really?"

"Why do you wanna know?" He snapped.

"Take me back," she demanded, knowing this wouldn't end well.

"I'm sorry detective, but no can do."

All the hairs on her skin stood as she heard him call her detective. She never told him her true identity. "How do you know I'm a cop?"

"You think I don't do my research? I'm not stupid," he shook his head. She quickly reached for her purse, which had concealed her gun. "I wouldn't do that if I were you. You kill me and I'll steer this car right into a tree."

"You're kidding me right?" She scoffed.

"Give me the gun or I kill us both," the guy told her.

She sighed and handed him her pistol. "And your cell," he added.

Reluctantly, she handed her cell to the guy, who threw it away somewhere. "Hey what was that for?!?"

"Can't let your guys know where we're going."
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Shit," Nick muttered, "We lost em."

"What do you mean we lost them?" Sonny asked, starting to get worried. They lost sight of the car and had been following the tracker on Eliza's phone.

"I don't know, but I can't track her phone anymore," Nick said.

"Are you kidding me? Radio Benson!" Sonny shouted, getting quite angered. His grip on the wheel was tighter and he started going way past the speed limit.

"Alright alright, just slow down! You're gonna get us killed!" Nick warned frantically, turning on his walkie talkie, "Benson, we lost sight of Chapman. We can't track her phone, over."

There was a brief silence for a moment, as Olivia wasn't sure what to do. "We'll check the street cameras and see if we find his license plate. I'll text you the coordinates to the last place it's been seen, over."

"Copy that sarge, over," Nick said.

"Did you get a text yet?" Sonny asked, still panicking.

"Hold on," Nick told him, checking his phone, "Alright keep driving straight and then take the first left."

Sonny complied and followed his directions. "Okay now turn right at the third avenue."

"That's strange," Nick muttered as he read the texts.

"What?" Sonny asked, still focusing on the road.

"Benson said the car stopped. But there's no sight of anyone getting out of the vehicle," Nick told him and pointed out,"Just park over there."

After he parked, they both got out of the car, aiming their guns low. Sonny walked forward, slowly creeping towards the parked Honda Civic. He motioned for Nick to take the other side and aimed his gun up to the car window.

"NYPD!" Sonny shouted and jumped in front of the driver's seat to see that no one was there. He cursed and kicked the side of the car in frustration as he lowered his gun. "They're not here."

"They couldn't have gone that far. Could they?" Nick asked, scratching the back of his head.