Chapter Eleven

Eliza sat down in her apartment, contemplating what just occurred that day. She knew the guys were just trying to be kind and didn't mean to snap at them like she did. It just kinda happened.

Eliza was so invested in her thoughts, she was startled by the sudden knock at the door. She stood up from her seat and walked over to the door, checking through the peephole. It was Olivia.

Eliza opened the door and yawned, "Hey Liv. What's up?"

"I came to check up on you. You seemed pretty angry when you left work today. Are you alright?" she asked.

"Yeah I'm fine. Just a little stressed out. Want to come in?" Eliza stepped aside to let her through.

Olivia smiled and walked inside, "Look, if you need a few days off-"

"I'm fine," Eliza repeated for probably the fifteenth time.

"Just because you keep telling yourself that, doesn't actually prove that you mean it. And I get it, seeing your brother today probably triggered some anger."

"I'll admit, that did make me a little agitated, but I'm really fine. Things like this happen. It's all part of the job," Eliza shrugged.

"I know this might seem like too much on top of all that, but Barba wants you to go up as a witness," Olivia admitted.

"You're kidding me right?"

She shook her head, "I wish I was. But your testimony might really help for this case. I want you to think about it at least."

"How am I going to be of any help? I haven't seen him in like twelve years!"

"Still, you're the only family member we could manage to get. I wouldn't be asking you to do this if I didn't think it was important."

Eliza sighed, looking back at Olivia. She could tell she really wanted her to say yes. Yes, she wasn't close with Julio, but she didn't want to be involved with any of her family at all. However, she knew he needed to be put in jail for what he did.

"I'll think about it," she managed to say.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The next day, Eliza still came to work and was met by tons of awkward stares. "Eliza, what are you doing here? You should be home resting," Sonny looked concerned.

She sat down and rubbed her eyes in exhaustion. "Sonny, please. Can you stop worrying?"

"What do you mean stop worrying? Nick told me you threw up yesterday." He frowned and lowered his voice to a whisper, "You're my girlfriend. I have the right to worry about your wellbeing."

"Sonny I really don't feel like arguing right now," she sighed, breathing heavily.

"I'm not arguing," Sonny insisted.

She was about to respond when she suddenly dry-heaved, causing her to run to the bathroom. Sonny quickly followed but stopped at the door.

"You're not okay," he called out, "Let me drive you back home at least."

There was no response for a while until he heard the sound of a toilet flush then the faucet turning on. In less than a minute, the door swung open, revealing Eliza.

"Let's go," she mumbled quietly as she averted his gaze.

"Alright, you go to the car. I'll grab your stuff and meet you downstairs."
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As Sonny drove Eliza home, he continued to ask her questions nonstop. "Was it something you ate? Probably food poisoning? Oh, maybe it's those hotdogs we ate yesterday. I knew I shouldn't have trusted that guy. Two hotdogs for a dollar in New York? Hah!"

Eliza sighed, deciding she was too tired to answer his questions. Sonny finally stopped once he took a quick side glance at her, "Liz?"

"I'm pregnant Sonny," she finally confessed, glancing to the window so she didn't have to look him in the eye.

"Wait, seriously?" a wide smile arose on Sonny's face, "I'm gonna be a father? This is great!"

"Mhm," Eliza nodded, not seeming as chipper as he was at the moment.

"Why aren't you excited?" Sonny arched a brow.

She turned around, facing forward, "What do you think people are going to wonder at work once they find out I'm pregnant? The first thing they're going to ask is who's the father."

Sonny got quiet, not knowing how to respond to that.

"I like working at SVU Manhattan. And I don't want to be transferred," she sighed, "But at the same time, I don't want to lie and pretend like you're not the father."

"Why don't we just talk to Benson about this? She'll understand," he insisted.

"I know she will. But everyone else won't."

Sonny abruptly stopped the car, not caring if anyone was behind him. He reached his hand over and held Eliza's, looking her in the eye. "We'll figure this out. Together. I want to be the best father I can for that child, no matter what."