Chapter Twelve

Eliza and Sonny still hadn't decided whether they should tell Olivia about the pregnancy. Instead, Eliza decided to agree to be a witness for Julio's case to hopefully get her mind off the baby for the moment.

"I'd like to call up my second witness to the stand, Detective Eliza Chapman," Rafael Barba announced to the court.

Eliza took a deep breath and stood up, walking over to the witness chair. She quietly sat down, avoiding her half-brother's surprised expression.

"Elízabeth?" Julio stood up, squinting to make sure he was seeing right.

"Julio sit down," his attorney motioned for him to sit back down.

"Eliza, when you were younger, you spent a lot of time with Julio, am I correct?" Rafael asked.

"Yes," she nodded.

"And when did that stop?"

"Well, right about when I was thirteen."

"And why is that?"

"He was eighteen at the time and started hanging out with the wrong crowds," she explained, "All our neighbors knew each other and we all knew he was selling drugs-"

"Objection! That has nothing to do with the charge at hand," the attorney argued.

"Sustained. Jury may disregard," the judge stated.

"So do you think that Julio was a good brother to you?" Rafael asked.

"Not at all," she told him, "What kind of brother leaves his sister for twelve years? Just cause we only share half the same DNA, doesn't mean we're not family. Family is not supposed to abandon eachother."

"Thank you. No further questions," Rafael smiled triumphantly and sat down. He gave Eliza a thumbs up, hopefully making her less nervous.

"Alright, cross examination?" the judge looked to Julio's attorney.

"Right," the lawyer stood up, "On your original birth certificate, you were given the name Elízabeth Díaz, the same last name shared by your father and Mr. Julio Díaz right here. However, by the time you were eighteen, you changed your name to Eliza Chapman. Why is that?"

"Objection! What does this have to do with the case?" Rafael interrupted.

"I promise you it'll make sense later on," the lawyer stated.

"Get to the point then," the judge demanded.

"Alright, I'll ask my question again. Why'd you change your name?"

"Because I didn't want another reminder of my dead-beat dad," she sighed.

"So you're admitting that you're not fond of your father?"

"Not exactly, no."

"Could your hate for your father also be the reason why you're testifying against your own brother, who shares the last name of the man you resent?"

"It's just a last name! What does that have to do with anything?" She asked, starting to get angered.

"Answer the question Eliza."

"No, my opinions about my dad have nothing to do with what I think about my brother."

"Are you sure? Because as you told Mr. Barba, family doesn't abandon each other. Yet, your father abandoned you as a child and so did Julio here. So what makes them so different?"

"Julio Díaz is a rapist who deserves to rot in jail for his actions. That's the difference," Eliza argued.

"No further questions?" the judge asked.

"No your honor," the attorney shook his head.

The judge hit her gavel, "Alright. The court is on recess for half an hour."
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"I'm so sorry. He twisted my words around and confused me," Eliza sighed as she walked out of court.

"Don't be sorry. That's his job. And you did fine," Rafael assured.

"Hey sis," Julio approached Eliza, standing next to his lawyer.

"I suggest you leave her alone," Sonny stood in front of Eliza, standing in between her and Julio.

"Who are you to tell me what to do? That's my sister," Julio glared at him.

"Sonny, just forget it. He's not worth it," she took his arm to pull him back.

"Yeah listen to your partner, detective," Julio warned and walked off.

"I'm sorry Eliza, but that guy's a real scumbag. How'd you put up with him for so long?" Sonny asked, still seething with anger from the recent confrontation.

"He wasn't always like that. Like I said earlier, he just changed," she told him, "And not for the better."

"Barba, do I have to stay since I'm a witness or can I go?" Eliza asked.

"You've already testified so you can leave if you'd like," he told her.

"Thank you. Good luck with the case," Eliza waved and turned to the exit.

"I'll go with her just to make sure she gets home safe," Sonny told Rafael who seemed quite confused and ran off to follow Eliza out.