Prologue

Ever wondered if the series of coincidences that passed through your everyday life were just merely as what they seemed or were they a way of fate to play games?

Henry Bell would wonder about the same things after he received a visit from an old friend's attorney—the only friend who knew about his real identity.

No one knew except Patrick Dalton that behind his suit and tie was a man with bullet scars that could tell tales enough to fill a library. He had never spoken to Patrick for a long time, but he knew that as his attorney introduced himself, that there was something wrong—that something went wrong.

"Mr. Bell, I'm Cole Hartman, Mr. Dalton's attorney," the man shook his hand.

"I know, my secretary told me," he motioned for the man to sit down. "What happened?"

Cole Hartman's tired and wrinkled eyes looked at him. "Patrick died last night. I received orders from him a week ago that if something happened to him, I should give you this," he explained and handed him a folder.

Henry frowned despite his shock, "What happened?" he asked as he absently reached for the folder.

"We don't know yet. But the doctors said it's a heart attack."

"And what's this?" he asked of the folder, opening it.

"That's another thing I don't know as well," Cole Hartman stood up and added, "I need to go. Contact me if you have any more questions."

Henry shook the man's hand once again, his mind already drifting off to the content of the folder.

When he was finally alone, he sat down, looked at the folder, opened it, and started to read.

Henry,

By the time you read this, I might probably be dead.

I'm entrusting my daughter's safety to you.

I've made enemies and I know they'd come after her.

Your friend,

Patrick.

Along with the paper was an official document that appointed him as his daughter's legal guardian until she reached the age of twenty-five.

What the hell?

He never got the chance to meet Patrick's family in a social kind of way. The only thing he was certain about was that the man was widowed years ago. Aside from that, he didn't know anything personal about his family. He only knew Patrick Dalton.

And he was pretty sure he didn't know his daughter Angelica Dalton.

******

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hi!

If you are new to my works, you may want to know that I now focus mainly on historical romance stories for a couple of years now. If you enjoy works like Bridgerton, feel free to hop into the worlds of the Town and Sutherland!

All my stories (and the series they belong to) can be found on the Reading Lists on my profile. 

Enjoy!

Enjoy!

J.D. Ruiz