Chapter 10

Angelica saw a big man walk out the restaurant looking pissed as hell and moments later, she saw Henry looking worse. She slid lower in her seat, hoping he would not notice her presence. His appointment was not that long. It did not even last ten minutes. What is he doing?

She saw him walk towards his car, entered, and then drove off. She did not bother going after him because his car was gone in a flash. Instead, she chose to head back to his apartment and await trial for her disobedience. She started her car and drove herself back to her guardian’s home.

 *****

“I told you not to go out,” was the first thing she heard from him as she entered the door.

“I know,” she shrugged, looked at his angry face, and walked to the kitchen. “What’s for dinner?”

“And why were you following me?”

That halted her steps and she whirled around in surprise. “You knew?”

Henry looked at her dryly.

“Can I know how?”

He raised his eyebrows. “Oh, you want to know how? Okay, let’s see. For one, you have this red sports car that really stands out from all the rest of the black and silver ones. Second,” he looked at her stonily, “I know your plate number. So next time you try to do some detective work, make sure you have a different car.”

She felt embarrassed not because he knew, but because she was caught. It meant she didn’t do a good job. She should have learned a lot of things from the criminal dramas she had been watching all these years.

“What were you doing in that restaurant?” she asked him.

“None of your business.”

“Lawyer stuff? Or the other stuff?”

He snapped his eyes at her. “None of your business.”

“Okay, I think I’ve had enough of this,” she threw her hands up. “I want my old life back. I want to go back to work. And as much as I want to stay here with you, my handsome guardian, I want to go back to my own home. So tell me what your plan is. I want to know what we’re going to do next, because as I see it, we can’t go anywhere because the flash drive is empty and I don’t really think I’m in danger anymore. I didn’t have followers today, and I came back alive.”

After she stopped to take a breath, he asked, “Are you done? Can I answer your questions now?”

“Yes, please,” she answered sarcastically.

“First, no, you can’t have your old life back—for now,” he looked at her sternly. “Second, yes, you can go back to work, only if you answer my calls every time I call and check on you. If you miss one, you’re back here inside. And this time, I won’t be as lax as before. Third, no, you can’t go back home yet. You stay here where it’s safe. Fourth, my plan is simple: to keep you alive and to make you behave and right now, I think I’m failing miserably because of your stupid behaviors. And lastly, no, you’re still completely in danger. You know why? Because we haven’t captured the one who wanted your father dead and who got you kidnapped.”

Angelica was speechless. Usually, when she talked, people found it hard to follow her words, and hearing him answering her inquiries was quite amazing. She shook that thought away for a moment to speak. “So, let me get this straight,” she walked towards him, counting with her fingers as she said, “I can go back to work and get out of this apartment as long as I can answer your check-up calls,” he nodded and she continued, “and you are going to handle everything about the bad guys while I live here with you and stay alive?”