Chapter 13

“Don’t even bother,” Henry hissed at her ear, his body too close for her sanity.

She looked ahead and tried to make her smile remain on her face. John Stewart was walking at their direction. It was way past dinner and almost everyone was already leaving.

“We’re leaving now,” Henry said with warning in his voice. She couldn’t focus. She felt his warm breath against her ear and it was kind of intoxicating.

“Okay, okay,” she answered breathlessly. “Jealous…” she said with a tune under her breath that he could only hear.

“Not,” he snapped, and pulled at her waist. He motioned their bodies so that their back was at John Stewart. “Let’s go,” he ordered and she obliged.

“Jealous…” she sang once again.

“Stop that,” he muttered under his breath. He literally dragged her towards his car.

Whatever happened to John Stewart, she didn’t know. She soon found herself being pushed inside Henry’s car and then they drove off into the night.

“Jealous…” she sang louder this time.

“Ridiculous…” he answered differently.

“Definitely true…” she kept up with her tune.

“Impossible…” he retorted.

“So true…” she sang louder, giggling now.

“You’re crazy,” Henry was shaking his head.

“Crazy, crazy for being so lonely….” She sang out.

“Definitely crazy…” he uttered, nodding his head. A smile was already creeping up his face.

“Crazy little thing called love…” she continued on and she couldn’t hold out her laughter any longer. “God, I love that song,” she uttered.

“Pathetic,” he murmured.

The little joy she was feeling suddenly evaporated and she glared at him. “You’re such a spoiler, you know that?” she held up her palm when he opened his mouth. “Don’t bother,” she cut in and turned away.

  *****

Henry saw the hurt on her face and he immediately regretted his word.

They drove in silence and the only sound he could hear was the silent hum of the car.

And the moment he pulled into the parking area, she opened the door and jumped out, storming her way towards the building doors and then to the elevators.

“Don’t talk to me,” she said silently, her voice serious.

What the—she was actually seriously angry.

“Every freaking time…” he muttered bitterly as they entered the elevator.

“What did you say?” she snapped, her blue eyes burning fire.

“I say the wrong words and you get angry? I didn’t even mean it!” he almost shouted.

“Oh, you don’t mean it every time you throw snide comments my way? You don’t mean it every time you make me feel like I’m a stupid girl who knows nothing but to chase around men? You don’t mean it when you said I can’t go near John Stewart?”

As she stood there shouting those words at him, he was actually not hearing her. He was too busy getting lost in her eyes and her mouth and her beautiful face.

“Do you know he actually calls me Angel? Can you imagine that? I don’t really like hearing it but at least he shows me he likes me.”

He knew she was talking nonsense now because…well, she did that every time she started talking.