Chapter 17

Unfortunately, because of the news about Philip and Cassandra’s wedding, they had to go back home. They could have stayed for a few more days, but both of them decided that it was time to actually face what they had to.

“Pam could be dead by now,” Angelica gasped beside Henry. His wound had not completely healed, but he was capable to drive now. She shifted on her seat and looked at him. “Do you think something happened to her?” she asked.

Henry shook his head. “She said Garrett’s going be away for a week or so, so I think he just got home—that is if what you suspect is true.”

“Of course I’m sure. The man is freaking creepy, if you must know.”

“He’s always been like that,” Henry told her. “He is always distant and weird.”

“Then how about John? You believe he’s the killer, right? I’m sure he’s always been friendly.”

“He’s too friendly to you,” he pointed out.

“I’m a very likable person,” she argued, lifting her chin up.

Henry snorted. “But you can’t argue that he was there before Kevin’s death.”

“Well, whatever, I don’t really care who the killer is as long as we catch him,” she humped back against her seat.

I will be doing the catching, Angelica,” he said, shooting her a glance. “I don’t want you tailing my back once again just like with those Russians.”

“I saved your life,” her eyes widened.

“You wouldn’t have to if I was not distracted by your presence,” he retorted.

“Yeah, go kill yourself next time. I’ll bury you myself,” she waved off her hand and turned to the window. “I just remembered I need to go shopping.”

  *****

Henry was always in shock by her sudden change of topics, just like now. “What for?”

“The wedding, of course. I have to call Cassandra about the theme. Give me back my phone.”

Henry shook his head. “Not until you give me back mine,” he said.

Angelica sighed and searched inside her bag. Not a minute longer, she handed him his phone and he felt a weird feeling as he took it in one hand. Having his phone back and giving Angelica hers was an actual sign that they would be back to real life. No more waterfalls to go to, no more Salmon for breakfast, no more streams and hammocks.

He mentally shook his head. He couldn’t stay stuck in something he knew he could only have in passing. He had a mission to finish, and he had to eventually go away when it was done.

“I think it is going be a beach wedding,” he heard Angelica say as she turned on her phone excitedly.

How could she be worried about someone else’s life one moment, and then be excited about a wedding the next? Maybe it was the doctor in her, he thought. She was used to losing people under her care. She was used to letting go.

Would it be as easy for her once he had to leave? Surely, that would be the case. She would find someone else to chase and have fun with as she usually did.

And what about him? Could he lock the memories he shared with her in that distant part of his mind like all the skeletons he had in his closet? Could he actually make it possible not to watch her from a distance to check if she were okay from time to time after they parted ways? Would he be able to stop himself from thinking about her?