Chapter 3

Above us, a sub hovered with its exterior lights trained on the rig we were in. I could see an outline of its shape. It had been described many times, always in fearful tones, as a giant white shark with a black lump in its throat as if it had swallowed something. The heavy hook hit the rig's bumper with a loud thud. I shot Ty a look meaning let's-get-the-hell-out-of-here. A path of light flared down through the darkness. I froze, still in the viewing dome as the light lit up a small area around me.

"Crap..." I muttered softly, still looking up through the dome.

"Come on," Ty urged, trying to get Gemma to move quicker. "That's the Specter," he tried to explain the urgency. "It belongs to--" he trailed off when I raised a hand.

A pair of boots landed onto the viewing dome and kicked off again. I scuttled backwards with my eyes trained on the figure that shimmied into view. He dropped down to the bumper as a second man slid down after him.

"Go!" I hissed as Gemma questioned.

"Who are they?" She asked as Ty tugged her behind a crate.

"Outlaws," he said cautious of the lights.

She looked outside with a new interest. I pushed her head down as the lights flashed around the bridge again. The outlaws attached the tow hook to the rig. I pointed at the corridor, motioning for Ty to get Gemma out of her. I followed quickly. Ty's flashlight turned on as he stepped through the hatchway. Gemma wouldn't budge though.

"Does that mean this isn't fish blood?" she stammered.

"I don't know," Ty admitted.

There was no evidence of the Seablite Gang ever killing anyone, only a lot of ugly stories. Around us, the hull creaked. Ty circled the room to the airlock.

"Hurry. Once they haul it from the mud, it'll be tough getting out. it'll move fast." Ty said.

"I'm not going outside..." Gemma muttered "I'll hide here..."

I now regretted telling her about the giant squids now. "Look this sub is probably going into Coldsleep Canyon. Do you want to go down there?"

The sub lurched. I caught her as she stumbled and hoisted her to stand again. She dashed to the airlock. She muttered something to Ty as they went in. I hit the button that closed the hatch behind me.

"When you suck it in, do it all the way." Ty said.

She flushed pink. "Excuse me?"

"The Liquigen," he said. Flipping her helmet over her head, he sealed it shut. "Some beginners leave pockets of air in their lungs. Their chests are smashed flat by the water pressure if there are pockets." he explained.

The icy glare she shot him could have restored the glaciers. It also made me giggle; she seemed so unaware of this world. She made an effort to do what Ty instructed, gagging as she filled her lungs. When she fell against the chamber wall, a blinking red light above the outer hatch went off. Ty secured his own helmet.

"Ty lights out. That light should only pulse when someone from the outside comes in." I whispered sharply. I pulled up my helmet but didn't take any Liquigen in. I had a feeling I wouldn't need it.

Ty switched off his flashlight, pulling Gemma against the wall-- not a second too soon. The hatch opened and a stream of water shot into the airlock, glistening in the red light. I inched across the wall in the limited shadows as Ty pulled out a short length of cord from his belt, clipping it to Gemma's belt. I motioned for them to edge closer to the hatch.

As soon as the water filled the chamber, a beam of light cut through the bubbles. I waited as a dark figure stepped through the hatch. The instant he crossed the chamber, Ty darted outside, dragging Gemma at his hip. I swam after them. Given our speed, he must have felt the water move. He whirled around, looking younger than I had expected. I had paused in the hatch, staring at him, with my sleeve caught by the hinge. I tensed, struggling to get free. In a burst of movement, he slashed forward. His black eyes were trained on me and his teeth were so white they were almost as transparent as a dragon fish's fangs.

Ty and Gemma had already disappeared into the darkness, probably down in the muck. Quickly steadying myself onto the bumper, I flinched when he grabbed my hand. Yanking my sleeve free, he unlatched my helmet. I gasped as the cool water filled my lungs. It was relaxing. He watched, expecting for me to start struggling and drown. I just stared back with little bubbles of carbon dioxide escaping my lips whenever I exhaled water. He stared in shock and curiosity. Suddenly I bit his hand, piercing his diveskin with my teeth. He jerked back, releasing my hand. I felt a piece of my diveskin tear off but decided to ignore it and jumped from the bumper. I glanced up as I disappeared from view. He was staring after me, seemingly deep in thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you enjoyed it. Comment if you liked it or have ideas. Thanks.