Chapter 5

The jet fin shot from the ocean and into another world of sun and air. After jumping twenty feet into the air and splashing down in a whirlwind of spray. Gemma smiled cheerfully then turned her attention to Ty when he shielded his eyes from the light. We slowly headed for the dock. I turned from the viewing dome, heading up the cockpit cover.

Sliding it back, I flinched as a wave of heat rolled over me. The strange thing about natural air was that unlike filtered air, it had a taste--- flavored by whatever was nearby. In this case, the sun and ocean -- hot and briny. I climbed out fully and inhaled, deciding how far away we were. I could hear the voices of hundreds of people. Market days were terrible. Always busy. Always overcrowded. I sighed regretting coming with them and jumped into the water to retrieve my manta board. When I poked my head back into the jet-fin, I whistled to get Ty's attention.

"Ty, I'll meet you at the docking-ring." I called before slipping back out. The manta board skipped like a stone across the water as I took off before them.

As I approached the Surface Deck, the noises attacked me. Hollering vendors, haggling shoppers and screeching children. I was relieved to see most wore tunics and loose-fitting pants, meaning they were most likely floaters, people who lived on houseboats, rather than tourists. Deep down, I hoped they'd know what a shine was, even if they'd never seen one before.

I almost never came up here. I knew it wasn't the place for me. There was no turning back now. Not with Ty and Gemma following my lead. Rounding a barge, I spotted the Seacoach in the next slip, unfolding its wing-sails. A relieved smile sprouted on my face when I saw a neighbor of mine, Jibby Groot, on deck. He was hosing down the solar membranes that stretched between the wings' struts that caught sunlight and wind.

"Need a tow?" I hollered, standing on my manta board. I kept it moving just enough so that it wouldn't sink.

Jibby raised his shaggy blonde head, and upon seeing me, cracked his most devilish smile. "Just the sea flower I always want to see." he crooned.

"Awe," I cooed back, before slicing my board into a wave while cutting the motor, which sent a sheet of seawater splashing over him. Applause and whistles erupted from a nearby group of young men-- all newbie settlers like Jibby-- lounging by the ship's deck house. Bowing dramatically, I jumped into the water, pulling my manta board over to the docking-ring. Jibby jumped onto the docking-ring, walking over to me.

"Where're you heading?" I asked, grasping his out-stretched hand.

He hauled me up onto the docking-ring with ease, manta board and all. "Paramus," He said as if it was obvious. "The station is out of everything thanks to those muck-sucking outlaws. We're going to see what we can scrounge. Want to come? I'd like you to come," he smirked.

"I'd love to..." I started, getting his hopes up. "But I can't." I smiled letting him down.

"Awe, pooh... How come?" he asked, folding my manta board's wings so it'd be easier to carry.

"I have to see the sheriff," I said as Ty and Gemma went passed in the jet-fin. They docked closer to the elevator.

"Good luck, doll face-- he's in the town meeting," he snorted, hauling my manta over his shoulder as he walked me down the dock.

"Why aren't you?" I asked with my hands on my hips.

"If I wanted to sit inside and drool," he began with a sly grin. "I would have stayed in a stack-city. Plus, Ranger Grimes will be in that meeting for hours. You sure you don't want to come? I can hitch your manta board to the back. We can do some wakeboarding." He tried to persuade as we walked.

"Tempting, but I still have chores and I'm just waiting for Ty and... for Ty to finish helping someone." I said, half lying. I knew Ty wouldn't be too thrilled if I had told Jibby about Gemma. Especially since Jibby was on the lookout for a bride.