Chapter Ten

Amaya slowly opened her eyes. She was in a different room now. She tried to move but her incision hurt.

"Hey, girl."

"Cole! How is Emily? Is she-"

"She hasn't left the realm of the living yet," Cole said shaking his head. "She actually woke up after the surgery. She said to to tell you thank you for saving her baby. Ronin and her are spending their last moments together."

Cole choked up as he spoke. Amaya wiped away tears. Emily was a very sweet woman. Amaya hadn't known her for very long but she still ached for her.

"What you did took a lot of courage," Cole said clearing his throat.

"I just wanted to do something right for once," Amaya sighed. "How is the baby?"

"She is fine," Cole said nodding. "As far as we know the surgery was successful. You will need to take it easy till the baby adapts to you."

Amaya sighed with relief and stared at the ceiling. She kept thinking about the fact that she had a little baby inside of her. It was such a weird thought to comprehend.

"Are you guys taking shifts watching me?" She laughed.

"No, I volunteered," Cole said. "It was the least I could do. Besides the others are busy with their families."

"But not you?"

"I'm a ghost," Cole laughed. "I can't have kids."

"You could adopt," Amaya said raising an eyebrow at him.

"Who would want a ghost as a dad, huh?" He laughed it off. "Besides, someone has to be holding down the fort."

"I suppose," Amaya said skeptically. "Whatever makes you happy."

Cole didn't answer. He placed his chin in his hand and stared at the opposite wall. He stayed till Amaya went back to sleep.

**********************************
Ronin was kneeling beside his wife's bed. They were talking in hushed tones. Ronin knew this would be the last conversation they would ever have and it killed him inside.

"Promise me something," Emily said weakly.

"Anything," Ronin said holding her hand tightly.

"You tell our baby about me," Emily had tears running down her cheeks. "Tell her about her mommy who loved her so much. Tell her I wanted to be there for her first step, her first word, her first day of school, her first crush. Everything. You tell her that I love her."

"I promise," Ronin's voice cracked as he spoke. "I love you. Please don't go."

"I'm won't be gone, Ronin," she said squeezing his hand.

Emily closed her eyes for the final time. She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Her hand went limp in Ronin's hand. Ronin realized she was gone and began to sob uncontrollably. His dear Emily was gone.

After an hour, Ronin stepped numbly from his room. This didn't seem real. His beloved Emily was gone.

"Ronin?" Aira asked softly.

"I need a minute," he said waving her off. She nodded and went into her bedroom.

"Lloyd," Aira called sobbing.

Lloyd came in from the bathroom, took one look at her, and then held her right.

"Is she gone?" He asked gently rocking her back and forth.

Aira just nodded into his chest and continued to sob. Emily had become a close friend. She had always been sickly but she never thought she would die because of it. That last trance she had pushed her to the max.

"One shall die but leave a light behind," Aira said sobbing. "I don't understand why this had to happen."

"We never do," Lloyd said stroking her hair. "We never do."

"Emily was the kindest soul you could ever meet," she continued. "She deserved better."

"At least her baby is safe," Lloyd said. "Zane said Amaya is very strong and should be able to carry the child as if it was hers."

"So Emily's light was left behind," Aira said mentioning the prophecy again. "She wanted to be a mother so badly. Now she will never see her baby. She will never get to hear her child laugh or even cry."

"Who says she won't," Lloyd said shushing her. "I bet she is smiling down from heaven right now because she knows her baby is safe."

"I just hope Ronin will be able to pull through this."

"He is a strong man. He will make it," Lloyd assured. "Besides he has the birth of his daughter to look forward to. His baby is going to need her father. This is going to be hard for him but we are all here for support."

"I hope you're right," Aira said softly. "I pray that you're right."

A/n- Oh my gosh, guys. I was literally sobbing while writing this chapter. Like legit sobbing. Don't stop reading. You never know what'll happen next. Besides, there is always a death sometime in a book. BUT IT WAS SO SAD!! :'( excuse me while I go cry. Hope you enjoyed even though I probably just wrenched out your heart strings. -LL_17