Chapter 2

Ella dug her claws into the soft pelt as she heard Alice speak. It can't be true! Mother's fine! There must be another reason the No-Furs didn't bring her back!
"You're lying! You don't even know what that No-Fur was trying to say!" Ella snapped at her sister. They were curled up on the soft pelt while Ace ate. Alice stared at her, and Ella saw that her unusual violet eyes were filled with sadness.
"Ella, I don't want it to be true but you know-" Alice cut off as Ace bounced over to them. He had been in the food place, what the No-Furs called the kitchen according to their mother. Mother...
"Do you know why the No-Furs didn't bring Mother back with them? Where is she?" Ace asked, settling down beside Ella. "I can't go to sleep until she's back."
"Ace..." Ella started, not knowing what to say. Her dark grey pelt bristled in anger. She didn't want to believe Alice, but she had no other explanation. "Ace... I don't think Mother is coming back."
Ace stared at her, his eyes filled with anger, worry and disbelief and his whiskers quivering. He looked at Alice, but she avoided his gaze. "No! It can't be..." His voice died away and he scrambled onto his paws, darting off into the No-Fur nest. Ella got up to go after him, but stopped when Alice touched her tail tip to Ella's shoulder.
"Maybe we should let him be alone for a bit." Alice meowed gently. Ella settled down again, but she was still restless. She fidgeted, clawing up strands of the blue-grey pelt beneath her. She didn't want to talk with Alice right now. She wanted to talk to her mother, but she didn't know if she would ever would again. In her heart she knew she wouldn't.
"What do we do now?" Alice meowed after a long silence.
   Ella was shocked at the question. "We stay here, of course."
   "But we can't... If May..." Ella looked at her sharply. They never usually called Mother by her name. They simply called her Mother. Had Alice called her May because they were growing up? Or only because Mother was dead?
   "If May is dead, then the No-Furs will separate us." Alice shuffled her paws and stared at the door to the food place, where one of the No-Furs was, as if she were afraid that they were going to come and take her right now.
   "How do you know?" Ella asked afraid to even think of being snatched away from her littermates.
   "One of the cats that used to visit May... She said that her kits had been taken away. One day one was gone, the next day another... And they were all taken to different No-Furs."
   Ella's fur prickled at the thought. Why would the No-Furs do something so cruel?
   Ella took a deep breath. She would never let her littermates be taken away. "Then there's only one thing we can do. We have to find our father."
   Alice shuddered. "But May said he was a street cat. She said he left her on purpose. What if he doesn't want us? And Ace..."
   Ella could understand why her sister was worried. She herself was pretty hesitant to leave the warmth of the No-Fur nest and go out onto the streets to look for a father who might not even want them. And neither of them wanted to put Ace in danger. But they both knew it wasn't safe here any more.
   "We have to try. We can't let the No-Furs separate us without doing anything about it." Ella declared. Alice nodded and rested her head on her paws. Ella had just decided to go look for Ace when she saw him padding towards them. Ella didn't speak, but she rested her tail on his back as he snuggled up next to her. I won't let the No-Furs take my family away from me.

A/N- Like the story so far? It's not that exciting yet, but please comment and vote! I'm also looking for some rouge and loner names and personalities!