Chapter 6

Alice leapt onto the Thunderpath, knowing the guards were behind her. Her paws slammed onto the Thunderpath, and she was almost across when she saw the glaring lights of the monster. She froze in the middle of the Thunderpath, staring at the monster which she had only seen before from the safety of the Twoleg nest. That was what the guards had called the No-Furs, and it seemed more fitting.
   Time seemed to be slowed as the monster hurtled towards her, about to crush her beneath its big black paws. She pressed herself against the Thunderpath as it came closer, and closed her eyes. Would she see her mother once she was dead? Where would she go?
   Alice felt monster come... And pass over her. For a moment she was trapped in darkness, then it was over and she heard a screech behind her. Everything was silent as Alice scrambled to her paws and turned around, afraid she would find her brother lying limp on the Thunderpath. But it was the skinny grey tom lying on the ground, with the the brown tabby bent over him.
   Alice didn't pause for long when she knew it wasn't Ace, and ran for the Twoleg nest where she'd seen Cora's orange fur disappearing into the shadows. She skidded to a stop before she hit the side of the nest and opened her jaws, trying to find Ace's scent.
   She stood for a few moments, trying to sort out the strong smells of Twolegs and monsters, but it was no use. It was hard to find any cat scent, and impossible for her to determine which one was Ace's scent.
She growled in frustration. I lost Ace again! She heard the guard that had been mourning over her friend let out a yowl of terror, and whirled around as the guard leaped off the Thunderpath and land with a thump in the grass as another monster came by. The guard scrambled to her feet and raced over to Alice. Alice tensed her muscles, preparing for a fight, but the she-cat skidded to a stop and pressed herself to the ground.
"Please don't hurt me..." The she-cat whimpered. Alice relaxed, trying not to show how happy she was not to be fighting.
"I promise I won't take you to Ice and Snake, I just need your help." The she-cat's eyes darted around nervously. "I need to get away from them before I get killed!"
Alice shifted uncomfortably. The she-cat's amber eyes were wide with desperation and Alice could see her bones jutting out from under her ragged pelt. I want to help her, but I need to save Ace. What if they hurt him? Where is Cora even taking him?
"I'll help if you tell me where they took my brother." Alice felt sick lying to such a poor cat. Alice had no safe place to take the she-cat, now that she had run away from the Twolegs. The she-cat shuffled her paws and stared at the ground.
"I don't know." She meowed after a short silence.
  "You're lying." Alice couldn't actually tell, but it was possible. The street cat wouldn't meet her eyes. She turned and stalked away, her tail and head held high, trying to look as though she was certain this she-cat was lying.
   "Wait! I'll tell you!" The street cat scrambled after Alice. "I'll even show you! Please don't leave me here..." She whimpered pitifully.
Alice stopped padding away and pricked her ears. She turned to face the she-cat. "Show me. Quickly." Alice didn't have a plan but she had to save Ace, and maybe get Ella back a top, somehow. How hard could it be?

A/N- I've had a major case of writers block, and school's really busy, so sorry for not updating. This chapter's pretty short, but I hope you like it!