Chapter 3

Closing her locker, her books in her arms, Willow wasn’t terribly surprised to see Ed standing beside it, arms crossed over his chest. He glanced around then leaned in closer to her. “Willow, what’s going on?” he whispered. “There’s a rumour about you that’s gotten all over the school already! Something about Joe Carboni calling you a slut and that new kid making him apologize in the middle of class.”

            Willow rolled her eyes. “That’s not what happened. Joe ordered me to put my head down and Rune made him apologize for not being polite about it. That’s all.”

            Ed shook his head. “I don’t care what the rumour says, as long it’s not about us being unusual, it’s the fact that there’s gossip about you at all that’s the issue. This is the second rumour I’ve heard about that Rune boy and it’s only our third day back! I think you ought to stay away from him as much as you can. He’s a rumour magnet.”

            She glared up at him. “I’ll wear four pieces of jewellery every time I leave the property. I’ll do my best not to cause waves and to appear perfectly normal to outsiders. I’ll even keep being nice to people with brains like a bag of bricks and the personalities of spoiled housecats. I’ll do all that to protect the family, to keep others from finding out about the curse. But I won’t let anyone dictate who I do and do not talk to, do you understand?”

            Her cousin’s skin went pale under his tan as he took a step backwards. “I…I’m just asking you to be careful.”

            Willow tossed her head. “When am I not? One rumour in three years is nothing. You’ve had more. Go mother hen the grade nine cousins, I’m fine.”

            The bell ringing overhead killed the rest of their conversation. Willow waved mockingly before joining the swirl of students that filled the hall, not giving Ed the chance to ask her to speak with him later. She dropped into her desk with a sigh, the first one to Biology. She leaned back and closed her eyes. While she understood Ed’s worries, especially since he’d appointed himself guardian of all cousins younger than himself, she wasn’t going to let fear of notice rule her every action. She’d sacrificed enough already. Two more years and she’d be able to escape not just her family, but the town as well. She’d finally be free! Or as free as she, and any other member of the Byron tribe, could be.

            A soft thump beside her announced Rune’s arrival. She straightened, eyes opening. He was looking at her quizzically. She smiled. “Morning.”

            “Good morning,” he replied, gaze still on her.

            In the end, it was the entry of Mr. Beasley that pulled his attention away from her. Willow frowned inwardly, wondering why he’d been staring. She hoped he wasn’t suspecting her of being…well, what she was.

            Her teacher was speaking and she focused on that instead of pointless worry. “…So today, we’ll be using these model building kits,” he said, gesturing towards the pile of boxes that lined one half of his desk. “I want everyone sitting on the left to pick up a molecule building kit and those on the right to come get enough information and answer sheets for you and your partner. You may work in pairs if you want. You have until the end of the period to finish. Have at it.”

            Willow stood quickly, doing her best to beat the traffic jam she knew was going to form around the kits. One wrong bump and she could lose a piece of jewellery. Too many and…She returned her attention to the task at hand, snagging a limp cardboard box and hurrying back to her seat, narrowly avoiding two other students.