Chapter 32

Willow finished her first sandwich then looked around the lunchroom, frowning. The tables inside were half full, while every available space in the courtyard was taken up with people and their lunches. Willow let her gaze wander over the lunchroom and the courtyard but didn’t see Rune anywhere.

            Her frown deepened. She knew he was at school. She’d seen him in Biology. And he hadn’t mentioned not feeling well, so she doubted he’d gone home sick. Willow all but inhaled her second sandwich before sweeping the rest of her lunch back into her bag. Hopefully, she’d have time to eat it after she found Rune.

            She checked her locker first, wondering if they’d promised to meet there and she’d forgotten. But he wasn’t there. Next she tried his, thinking maybe he was taking advantage of it being a few degrees cooler away from the lunchroom’s usual crush. But there was no sign of him there either.

            Now Willow’s frown deepened, her lips thinning slightly as she thought about where he could have gone. She wasn’t worried enough yet to check the boys’ bathroom, but if she didn’t find him before lunch ended… Willow shook her head and decided to retrace Rune’s steps, starting with his usual path.

She took the back stair, wondering if it was Rune’s claustrophobia that had him always taking the long way. Though, as the air remained far cooler here, she thought he might be on to something with avoiding everyone else. Willow thought she might start copying him and maybe even suggest it to the cousins.

 Willow made it all the way to the ground floor without running into anyone. Walking down the deserted hall that intersected the one that lead to the lunchroom, she finally caught sight of someone else. She couldn’t see much from a distance, other than the fact the other person was sitting on the ground.

She hurried her steps, feeling a sudden gust of air conditioning puff by her. She ignored the chill and the goosebumps it brought with it, her focus locked onto the sitting figure. As she got closer she saw that the person was hunched over, their forehead pressed into their upright knees that their arms were wrapped around.

Willow stopped just in front of the figure, recognizing the black back of his head as well as his lanky form. She hunkered down so she was at eye level with him. “Rune, what are you doing here?”

A weak chuckle answered her. “I should have known you’d be the first to find me, and this quickly,” he said without raising his head. “As for what I’m doing here, well, I didn’t really think I should be wandering the halls at the moment. The last thing I want to do is get caught by a teacher.”

Cold prickles filled Willow’s stomach. “What’s wrong?” she asked, laying a hand on his shoulder.

Rune sighed before slowly raising his head. Willow couldn’t help the gasp that escaped her lips. Already, one of Rune’s eyes was puffy, the skin around it a purplish red. But that was eclipsed by the dried blood that ran from his nostrils to his chin. When he moved his hands, Willow could see the beginnings of bruises there as well, in addition to several tiny cuts and a couple of dried blood splatters.

“What happened?” Willow whispered, her hand already reaching out to brush his cheek.

“Well,” he said, grimacing slightly. “I know I have a bloody nose, and from the way I feel, I’ve got to have a number of bruises.”

“You were in a fight,” she snapped.

Rune shrugged, wincing a bit. “I thought that went without saying.”

Willow could feel the ice begin to creep out from her stomach as dark emotions rose inside her chest. “Who did this?’

He met her gaze evenly. “No. One, I fight my own battles, though I appreciate the sentiment. Two, you look like you’re ready to rip someone limb from limb. Three, you’ll just get in trouble if you do try anything. Besides, it’s not like this is the first fight I’ve been in. I can’t believe it’ll be my last either.”

Her mouth worked for a couple of seconds, her lips feeling numb as the tide of emotions continued to rise. “I’m not going to let someone get away with doing this to you.”

“You act like this whole thing was completely one sided. I’ll admit, I got the worst of it, but I got a few good hits in. Like I said, this isn’t the first fight I’ve been in. If you want to help, you could grab me some wet paper towels so I can clean up a bit. Then I’ll probably head home. I’d tell the secretaries but…well, they’d make me talk to the principal, and Mr. Marsden’s going to know I was in a fight.”

Willow’s desire to hunt down the person responsible for Rune’s condition warred with her need to make sure he got home in one piece. She let her breath out in a low growl. “I’ll get the paper towels,” she said, her fists clenching. “But I’m walking you home. If someone tries something similar…They’ll wish they’d never ever seen you.”

Rune sighed. “Fine. I know I won’t be able to argue you out of it. Not that anything’s likely to happen.”

Willow stood slowly, eyes still meeting his. “You’re right. With me with you, nothing will.”

Her friend only shook his head as she stalked off towards the bathrooms.