Chapter 14

“…and they had Ms. Mitton in as our sub, and she just told us to make her the coolest picture we could, by the end of the period. She said she didn’t care what program we used or what subject it was, as long as it was the most interesting thing to us,” Rune whispered, idly doodling on one corner of his biology worksheet.

            Willow wrinkled her nose. “No fair, we never get to do anything fun like that in English. And Ms. Mitton’s one of the best teachers here.”

            “I got that impression. Anyway, I happened to be sitting beside Colin. Now I haven’t been here that long, but even I’ve gotten an idea of what he’s like.”

            She chuckled, earning her a glare from Nicole, who seemed to have taken it upon herself to watch them. They ignored her.

            “So I couldn’t resist, and looked over to see what he was doing. Surprise, surprise, he was photoshopping a picture of himself. He actually cut himself out of this cast picture of whatever play had him in a tunic and leggings-”

            “Romeo and Juliet. That was last year,” Willow supplied.

            “Right,” Rune said and continued. “So he’s got a picture of himself and he puts it onto a background of clouds, like he flying or something, and also adds in, and I couldn’t make this up, lightning in the background. Like he’s frigging Thor. Now, having seen his masterpiece, there was no way I was going to pass up the chance to hear what Ms. Mitton was going to say about it. I printed my picture off, and waited until he got in line so I’d be behind him.”

            Her lips twitched into a smile, already knowing what was likely to have happened.

            “Colin hands her his picture and she stares at it for a good few seconds. Then she just looks at him, with this ‘you’re frigging kidding me right’, expression. Finally, when he doesn’t say anything, she says ‘Well, since I left it open, I can’t not accept this. Just, try and avoid looking into any ponds you might come across,’” Rune said, grinning.

            Willow had to stuff half her fist into her mouth to keep from laughing so loud that Mr. Beasley came over. Her shoulders shook, able to clearly picture Ms. Mitton saying exactly that, and knowing Colin would have no idea what she’d been talking about. When she was finally able to speak without laughing, Willow shook her head. “Please, please tell me you told him the story of Narcissus.”

            Rune sighed with dramatic regret, saved from Mr. Beasley’s scrutiny by the ringing of the room’s phone. “Alas, he left before I could. Though, if he’s as into drama as everyone says, I might suggest they do an Echo and Narcissus play. That would the most fitting role for him. Not that he’ll likely remember the comment for long enough to get the significance.”

            “No. He rarely remembers things that don’t directly affect him. But you’re right. He was born to play Narcissus. All anyone has to do is tell Colin that he’s known for being handsome and he’ll be in.”

            “Ms. Byron, Mr. Campbell.” Mr. Beasley’s voice cut through their conversation, making Willow flinch and both of them look at him. “Mr. Marsden would like to speak to you. If you’ve finished your work, you might as well pack your things up and take them with you.”

            Willow and Rune exchanged a look before nodding. In seconds, they had their books shoved into their bags and were heading down the stairs to the office. “What do you think he wants?” Willow asked.