Chapter 15

A hand falling heavily onto her shoulder had Willow whirling, her body shifting as she prepared to send her attacker flying into the lockers across from her. Then she met the brown gaze that stared at her. She rolled her eyes, the tension draining from her. “What is it now?” she asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

            Ed glared at her. “You were pulled out of class by the principal! I assume it was about those articles. That’s exactly the sort of thing that’s going to draw attention, especially if you continue writing stuff like that. What if the administration starts looking at you more closely? They could-”

            She cut him off. “They won’t. You’re overreacting again. Even if they did, you know damn well they won’t find anything. Our whole family specializes in being squeaky clean. And really, the articles weren’t anything everyone didn’t know already.”

            He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “But people are talking about them. And you and that Rune kid because of it. I don’t like it. I really think you should be spending less time with him. There are still rumours circulating about him, and with this whole news blog thing, I bet there’ll be a whole lot more. You’re drawing way too much attention.”

            Now it was Willow’s eyes that narrowed as she took a step closer. She met his eyes, tilting her chin back so she could look him full in the face. “Screw off!” she hissed. “I am sick and tired of you coming here to lecture me, like you’re my frigging dad or something. Just because you’re two years older than me doesn’t give you the right to order me around and dictate who I do and do not hang out with. I like Rune. I enjoy spending time with him. It’s nice to have an actual friend, for once. So no, I’m not going to stop hanging out with him. And let me be clear. If you keep bugging me about it, I will pound your face into the dirt, just like I used to do when we were kids.”

            Ed stepped back, his skin paling slightly. He shook his head. “I’m saying this for your safety, too!”

            “You-” Willow broke off as footsteps came close.

She and Ed turned to see Rune coming to a halt beside her, his arms folded over his chest. Rune faced her cousin, grey eyes locked onto her cousin’s, his face set. “I think you’re done here,” he said, before snagging Willow’s wrist.

While Ed stared after them, his eyes widening, Rune towed Willow down the hall and around the corner, not stopping until they were in front of his locker. He released her and studied her for a moment. “Are you alright?”

She blinked for a moment, then made a face. “Yeah, I’m fine. Sorry about that.”

Rune snorted. “Who is that and what’s his problem?”

“That would be my cousin Ed. As the oldest one here, he feels it’s necessary to act like he’s in charge of all the rest of us. He’s basically a giant mother hen, and is always coming around the check on all of us. Especially if he’s heard anything through the school grapevine. Today he was just being stupid.”

“Ah. I hope I didn’t get you in trouble with your family,” he said, frowning.

Willow laughed. “No, no worries about that. I already told Ed that if he doesn’t leave me alone, I’d beat him into the ground. I used to do it when we were younger, and I could probably do it now.”

He grinned. “And here I was thinking you needed a rescue.”

Thinking of her sasquatch form along with all the training everyone in her family got, she had to chuckle. “No. I’m probably one of the girls least likely to need rescuing in the whole school. Heck, in the woods, I’d be the one rescuing you.”

Now Rune laughed. “I can’t argue with that. Not after having gone out there with you. And actually, I was going to ask you about that. Would you mind taking me back out there? I actually enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. Especially that rocky rise you showed me. I’d love to go up there again.”

“Sure! It’s no problem. We can go out this weekend. I don’t need to remind you about gear, do I?”

“God no! I think I’ll be bringing extra water and stuff.”

“Yeah, the first trip is always the hardest to understand what people mean when they say ‘untamed wilderness’.”

“I got that. I have a new appreciation for explorers and wildlife photographers. I like it for a day, but more than that…” Rune shook his head. “I’m not built for thick forests and closed-in places.”

“Claustrophobic?”

He shrugged. “Not crazily, but yeah. It’s one of the reasons why I like heights. Nothing closes you in there.”

Willow smiled. “Well then, I know a few other places you might like in the park then. But we’ll definitely start with the ridge. That’s my favourite spot, and it’s also the highest. You’re not the only one with a things for heights.”

Rune grinned. “Well-” The bell ringing interrupted him. They exchanged looks then shrugged, separating as they headed to their respective classes.