3. I Need A Hero

Elvis and I both headed into the house together, I gave a apologetic smile to Gladys. Elvis pulled my chair out for me so we could all finish eating dinner. I could feel Dixie burning holes through the sides of my head as Elvis pushed my chair back in for me.

"I'm sorry for leaving the table, I do get rather emotional still when...my mother's passing pops up."

"It's alright dear, there is no need to apologize about that," Dodger spoke up, I sent her a grateful smile.

"So, Grace, dear, are you still in high school?" Gladys asked, I guess she was bringing up the books I had in my arms earlier.

"Yes, mam', I am. I'm in my second year, but the guidance counselor had told me I might be moving up to third as the classes I am in now, I've already been taught in Houston," which was true when I was called into there office on Wednesday after only being school for three days. I believe it was my algebra teacher whom brought it to their attention after the test we did on Tuesday.

I ate some of my meal during the short silence, before Vernon spoke up, "What does your father do for work?"

"Well sir, he works part time as a plumber and sometimes helps out down at the mechanic shop. We've only been here a week, but everyone here is so friendly and have welcomed us warmly."

"Gracie's got a job too," Elvis said send me a discreet wink causing me to blush. I cleared my throat to try to dissipate the butterflies that suddenly appeared in my stomach.

"Oh yeah? Which street do they have posted at?" Dixie bit out, I knew she was only jabbing at me because Elvis was talking about me. I, however, wasn't one to cave in from bulling. 

It did not settle well with anyone in the room how she had talked to me. Elvis looked at her in anger and almost disgusted even. Gladys stared at her for speaking of such unholy things in her house. Dodger sat there trying to wrap her head around what she had said and Vernon was not so far behind Elvis with looking disgusted. 

I continued to eat my food, Gladys finally spoke up, "Did you just ask Grace what I think you asked her?" 

I looked at Dixie whom suddenly seemed flustered when she realized that everyone in the room turned against her within seconds. I took the last bite of my food chewing slowly looking at her to see her response.

"I can't be the only one here...this girl shows up out of no where and within minutes she's apart of the family? It took me months to get at least half way to being able to sit at a dinner table with ya'll...." she exclaimed looking around in disbelief, "And the fact that she practically feels up Elvis when think no one is looking!"

I raised my eyebrows, Elvis wasn't kidding when he said she was incredibly jealous even over meaningless kindness. 

"That's enough, Dixie, I'm taking you home," Elvis spoke sharply, Dixie looked at him clearly upset. 

"You can't be serious," she muttered in disbelief.

"Let's go," he stood abruptly from his chair and damn near snatched her up out of hers before walking out the door grabbing the car keys on the way.

"I'm so sorry about that Grace," Gladys whispered almost sounding ashamed and embarrassed.

"There is nothing to be sorry for," I told her immediately, I didn't want her to be upset over Dixie's outburst. She wasn't involved in what had happened either. She stood up for me too.

------------------------

I ended up helping Gladys clean up, her and I were in our own world talking about what I wanted to do with my future and what she thought Elvis was going to do with his. We ended up cleaning all the dishes and nearly the entire kitchen before Elvis came back.