10. Startling and New

Elvis had already gotten a contractor to come and build Goliath a place to rest, it was much more stable and bigger than what I had built him at the old house. Elvis himself was an extremely busy person so when he was home he made sure he spent it with family. He, himself slowly changed as well, he was having a hard time adjusting to the time changes after touring so he was prescribed, much to my dismay, meds to help sleep and meds to help him stay awake.

Not only was he becoming well known for his music, but his acting as well, he wanted to soak up the fame. So much so he had no problem kissing his co-stars for the camera. Right now he was away for a filming. He would be gone for another two weeks. He was becoming short with me over the phone. It made me feel dismal. Like I was a nuisance. 

...................

I didn't understand how much the drugs were affecting him until he got home. Not only drunk, but he had engorged himself in pills to keep him awake. It was midday when he walked in and his father was the one to greet him as he himself was heading out for a drink.

I sat at the piano, like I've been often finding myself doing while he was away, and played some random notes. I never knew how to play very well. I would just play to fill the house with some kind of noise so it wouldn't seem so empty. Dodger and Gladys was good company, but their was times where I knew they needed time together without me. Especially since Dodger is slowing down. 

"Are ya sure ya should be like this in front of your mama," Vernon patronized his son. I stood slowly from the bench and walked towards the voice.

"What would you know? I'm fine. I just had to relax on the plane ride."

"What about Gracie?"

"What about her? She's used to being around a drunk man," he slurred. I frowned hearing his tone, making me believe I was the nuisance he was forced to live with.

"You're only going to scare her away Elvis, no better than her daddy did."

"I would never hurt her!" he exclaimed, his anger was coming out.

"But you do, not with your fists."

It went quiet and I continued my way until I ended up behind Vernon, Elvis looked like a hot mess, his hair was grooved every which way, his shirt was unbuttoned. and he had lipstick on his collar. I swallowed hard looking him over. Lipstick on his collar, and bluish black marks on his neck. My ears were ringing. I blinked a few times when I saw him coming towards me. He had a smile on his face. 

Without realizing what had happened I slapped him across the face. He had rocked to the side and nearly fell. I was shocked and before I could apologize he turned his face to me looking at me with an intense furry that it stole my breath away.

"Elvis," Vernon said with warning. 

Elvis stared me down, "I should beat you within an inch of your life for touching me."

"Elvis!"

I felt my lip tremble, "You may be able to break me physically and mentally Elvis, but you will have me no more. I told you. I warned you. I gave you a chance and you hurt me for the last time."

He glared at me as I shook my head refusing to cry in front of him, "I will be leaving-"

"And go where? You have no where to go, your daddy's in jail, your mama is dead! The only good thing you got going for you is the fact that you aren't married and are a still a virgin although we've gotten pretty close to loosing that a few times for ya too."

I glared at him a few tears finally broke free much to my dismay. I heard a sharp intake of breath and looked over to see Gladys, Elvis spun to look too.