6. He's Here?

I walked down the path with my older cousin Carter whom had to go two blocks down to the barracks, his daddy got him where he was stationed. I couldn't help the giggle that escaped me as he cracked jokes down the path, it's been nearly the full year till I could venture home and reunite with Goliath. I still wrote to Gladys, even Shirley wrote me. 

They told me what has happened or things that became new or exciting. I couldn't help the giddiness that built up with the thoughts of returning home. Especially when I found out that Elvis has become quite well known, all over the world in fact. It means he'd be around rarely. The day he broke my heart was the day he made his first recording. 

That is what Gladys informed me in the letter she wrote me. She also wrote that he was determined to prove himself to me for when I returned home, however that changed when he was drafted. It was all over the papers and radio, his voice and face haunted me everywhere. 

"That Elvis guy has all the girls wrapped around his finger," Carter told me as we walked.

I shrugged, "Good for him. Jerk."

He looked at me taken aback, "Jerk? He doesn't seem that bad, I mean some of the guys at work are jealous of him, but he can't help it when he walks into a room-"

I bit my lip and looked down, I never told them why I was truly upset when I arrived, but something came to my attention, "What do you mean when he walks into a room?" 

"Listen don't rat me out alright?" He looked down at me nervously, I lifted a brow, but nodded, "He invites some of his closest friends back to his place after work everyday, I happen to be one of them, just don't tell the folks."

I looked at him like he grew a second head, "Are you telling me he's here? As in this country?"

"Uh, yeah, what's the big deal? Don't tell me you like him too!"

"I used to go steady with him back home," I muttered as I continued to walk, but stopped when I realized he wasn't following, "Carter?"

He looked upset and angry, "Are you telling me that you dated him? Before he became famous?"

He came up to me now with a look of concentration on his face, "Yes...."

"He calls you 'the one who got away'....Grace.....G.M. I am such an idiot, I should have made the connection sooner. You look different from then."

"I was happier then..."

"He broke your heart?" he looked at me, but my face said it all as we continued walking.

"I thought I escaped that past when I got here, away from my father and away from...him."

"I can help you get even, I'll take you there and you can act like my girlfriend," he stated, I shoved him.

"Gross," I giggled and he smiled back at me, "Besides I'm but a memory to him now."

"He carries the photo booth photos of you two in his wallet, you're anything but 'just' a memory to him."

"Like you said I look different-"

"I meant you...uh....matured, ya know?" he wiggled his eyebrows at me and I laughed and pushed him again. 

"You're so gross!" I exclaimed still laughing before we stopped outside my school. He grinned before letting out a huff.

"I guess I'll see you at home later, please go with me tonight, we'll knock his socks off...." he sang the last words, I giggled. 

"I'll think about it!" 

I ran towards the doors just as the first bell rang, and that is what consumed me today. My thoughts no matter how hard I tried not to think about him, were of only him. 

It helped me none when the girls were whispering about him in class and at lunch and during PE. I felt like I was running circles, I couldn't wait to get out of school. 

It felt as though the more he consumed my thoughts the slower time went. 

Once that last bell did ring I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I ran all the way home. I didn't stop to catch my breath, once I got in I shouted a greeting and threw myself into my temporary room. I closed the door and threw my books on the desk. 

I swung open my closet door and ripped out all my dresses. I had three. Two of them were church dresses the other one I spotted one afternoon in a store when I went shopping with Betty and she pushed me to try it on. She ended up buying it for me, claiming she doesn't have a daughter to play dress up with. 

I looked at the clock on the wall before sighing realizing I had time to kill. I ended up finishing all my homework and eating dinner with them before Carter wondered in and shot me a questioning look, I gave him a nod. He smiled at me and told his mother that he would be taking me out to dance. 

"Oh good you need to go out and have fun!" Betty exclaimed with a grin. I giggled and quickly ran to my room and pulled on the dress that was complimenting to my more prominent assets now. I fixed my hair for the dress and even put on a light coat of make up. I went all out and pulled out my dress shoes making sure they weren't scuffed.

A knock on my door told me I needed to be ready,  I pulled it open and Carters eyes bugged.

"Who are you and what have you done to my sweet innocent cousin!" Carter exclaimed, I giggled and smacked his arm playfully.

"Quit being a goof, I'm nervous, is this too much?"

"The girls that are usually there reveal more and wear more makeup, honestly hands down you'll be the only one there that won't look like she's from outer space."

"That response isn't a confidence booster!"

"Oh, look at you! You look amazing! Might even snatch yourself up a solider at this dance!"

I grinned relaxing, "That's what I was looking for!"

"You two have fun and be home before midnight!"

"Yes mama," Carter gave her a kiss on the cheek, "I'll look after her."

We headed out the door where a car was running a man in the driver and passenger seat, a girl in the back seat looking scared out of her mind, she seemed familiar.

"How many people are going to be there?"

"Not a lot, I promise, he only lets a few people in his house, one's that he trusts."

I take a deep breath in as he opens the back door to the car and waves for me to get in. Can I get through this? 

Yes, I can. 

I climbed into the back sitting in the middle, Carter plopped down beside me and shut the door. I closed my eyes taking deep breaths. You can do this.

"Is she okay?" I heard a tiny voice ask, I didn't have to look up to realize it was the girl sitting next to me, but sounded so far away.

"Yeah, she just needs to prepare."

"Prepare for what?"

"I'm sorry sweetheart what is your name?"

"Priscilla," she murmured nervously.

"I'm Carter and this is my cousin Gracie."