Fire vs. Fire

Mary seemed to be in a rush today. She wasnt talking. She was just doing things pretty quick. It wasn't at all like her.

"Um. Mary?" She just looked at me, waiting for me to continue.

"Is everything ok?" She sighed.

"I'm just stressed sweetie. That's all."

"Why?"

"Well. I have...a date tonight and..." I didn't even let her finish because I was already screaming in happiness.

"You're going on a date?! Oh my god. Why didn't you tell me before? Imma help you on everything. Makeup, clothes, hair, shoes, everything." I paced around the kitchen, already thinking on the outfit. I heard Mary laugh.

"You dont need to do all of that. But I do need a favor from you."

"Yes. Anything. Do make your date perfect."

"My date has a son. And he is bringing him to the date. I need you to...basically be his son's date?" She was looking at me, waiting for my reaction. I thought about it.

"Um. Mary? At what time is this date?"

"At about 8. Why?" I sighed.

"I kinda have a date as well."

"Oh. Well you dont have to go than."

"No no. Im definitely going. I want to see this perfect date. I'll just tell him to go on another day. Don't worry Mary. I'll be there." Mary smiled.

"Thank you Marial. You're like the daughter I never had." She said, hugging me. I hugged her back.

"And your like my second mother."

"Well. It's time for school. Want me to drive you?"

"No thanks. I'll want to survive." She gave me a playful death stare. I laughed.

"Bye sweetie."

"Bye Mary." I said as I walked out the door.

******

Today was not my best day at school. Apparently, Rachel was wrong. Cause in my case, the gossip latest more than 24 hours. I was even on the school website. How embarrassing.

As I was in the hallway, enjoying my last few minutes of freedom before detention, I spotted Arian.

"Hey Arian." He looked up from his phone and smiled.

"Hi Marial. Are you excited for our date?" He said smiling. I frowned.

"Yeah. About that. I can't make it." He frowned.

"Why?"

"My maid has a date and she wants me to go with her."

"Oh."

"Yeah. Please understand. This date is very special to her. We can go tomorrow. How does that sound?" He smiled.

"That sounds great." I smiled.

"Thank you." I hugged him. At first, he was surprised. But than he hugged me back. His touch surprisingly sent shivers of pleasure up my spine. Than the bell rang and it sent me back to reality.

Thanks a lot bell. I thought sarcastically.

"I have to go. See you tomorrow Arian."

"Same goes for you Marial."

******

"So how was detention?" Asked Mary as I did her hair. I groaned.

"Horrible. I was the only girl there. The guys kept on flirting with me. It was gross." Mary laughed.

"Well that's what you get for punching that Clinton guy." I growled at the mention of his name.

"We shall not say that name in this house. Ok?"

"Yes mother." She said.

"And. Done." I took out a mirror and showed Mary her hair. She gasped.

"What. You don't like it?" I asked, worried.

"No."

"Well. I can make it better and..."

"I LOVE IT."

"What?"

"I love it. It's perfect. Thank you so much sweetie." She hugged me.

"Your welcome. Ok. Now we are ready." We looked at ourselves in the mirror. We were perfect.

I heard the door bell ring. I jumped in joy.

"Come on. Let's go." We ran down the stairs. Mary opened the door and we were presented with a tall fine man.

"Good evening Mary." He said as he kissed Mary. She giggled.

"Same goes to you Gabe."

"And this must be the girl you take care."

"Yep. She is like my daughter." Mary squeezed my shoulders. I stretched out my hand.

"Hello. My name is Marial. Nice to meet you." He took my hand.

"Nice to meet you too."

"So where is your son?" Asked Mary.

"He's in the car. I'll go get him."

"I hope my date's cute." I said.

"I hope so too. I don't want you to go on a date with an ugly." I laughed.

"This is my son Clinton." As soon as I heard Gabe's voice, my smile dropped. My eyes meet Clinton's eyes.

"I'm going on a date with you?" We both said.

"Eww. This is gross." I said.

"Well it's not a joy ride for me either." He said.

"Gabe?" I heard Mary say behind me.

"Yes?"

"This is not only a date, but a war."

"It is?"

"Yes. And it's fire vs. fire."