Misery

MISERY

Chapter 6

"Wow Ree you really know how to dig yourself deep in trouble" Becca said pacing around her room.

I explained everything to her about what happened after the party to when Mark found the tickets.

"Thanks for the info sis, now kindly tell me how to get out from this!" I glared at her.

She stopped pacing and stood infront of me as if in deep thought. "I got it!" she exclaimed.

"Okay here's the plan..."

.................................................................................................

"Hon hurry up we're going to miss our flight!" I heard Mark's voice.

"I'll be there in a minute!" I yelled back.

"How do I look?" I turned towards Becca.

"Stunning, for a flight where no one would care!!" she threw her hands up.

"It's first class" I smirked.

"Yeah yeah whatevs. Now on to the important thing, call me when you get there and keep me updated, you remember what you have to do right?" she scanned my face for any emotion.

"Relax Bec", I put my hands on her shoulders, "I'll be fine."

I felt my phone vibrate in my hand but ignored it. Since morning Adam had left me 10 messages and 4 voice mails. I had read the first 3 and ignored the rest, all three of them said the same thing: when is your flight? Tell me so I can send someone to pick you up from the airport to your hotel. Obviously I couldn't have that and I didn't have a good explanation as to why I can't let him do that so I wimped out and ignored it altogether. Adam had texted me the details of the hotel earlier saying that since I wasn't answering he wouldn't want me to go through the trouble of looking for another hotel. I really felt guilty about not replying to him specially since he was being so sweet about everything.

Becca and I descended down the stairs just in time because Mark had done loading the suit cases and was closing the car's trunk ready to yell at me to come down any moment.

"I'm here" I saw his facial muscles relax at my sight.

I gave Becca a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"Bye you two dorks, have a safe journey" she called out. Ah I just loved Becca, she would never address us sweetly but I knew that she always looked out for us.

"You too Recca Becca" Mark teased and she scowled in return. I just laughed and waved at her one last time before sitting in. ..............................................................................................

I was woken up by light shaking, my eyes adjusted to the surroundings and Mark came into my focus.

"We're about to land" he whispered.

I just nodded and tried to shake off the sleep. I peeped through the small circular window and I saw palm trees, something you won't get to see in Virginia. The sky was filled with an array of colors as it was dusk. A blend of orange and pink tainted the sky, it was such a picturesque moment.

"It's beautiful isn't it? I'm glad you did this for us" Mark squeezed my hand lightly.

I looked at him and tried to curl my lips up in a smile but my smile faltered and the guilt came back. My mouth went dry and I just nodded numbly in return. God! I had to pull myself together.

It wasn't your fault Reece. I chanted this like a mantra over and over in my head.

The LAX airport was hustling and bustling with people. I could hear a blend of languages and see a mixture of people moving around. Airports always fascinated me. Airports were like hospitals minus the horrid typical hospital smell because an airport was a place that saw tears and joy. Some were happy to leave while some were sad.