Part Thirteen

Anakin's starfighter cut through the air, passing the speeders dastardly whizzing by in an effort to seemingly go nowhere. The Coruscanti night was lined with the dazzling lights of government buildings, nightclubs and even the lower level homes. Oddly enough, as Anakin sped towards his wife's apartment, he noticed that the nightlife on Coruscant seemed a little... darker. As if some of the light of the city had disappeared. He looked into the distance, expecting to see a major source of light, only to find it wasn't there. The Jedi Temple. Ashes.

Anakin averted his eyes with shame and sighed. He was disgusted that he was talked into such a horrid act, despising himself for believing such twisted lies Sidious had created. That damage, any innocent lives, were now on his hands. How could he be a father to a child when he was willing to burn, kill man even, just for two people to live? Anakin was afraid that one day he would-

"No! This is exactly what Sidious wants you to think. Don't doubt yourself, Anakin, it will be your permanent downfall."

Forcing his mind to be clear, Anakin ignored the lack of a temple in the distance and concentrated on the sweet bliss of seeing Padmé again. He gripped the yoke and turned it slightly at the sight of her apartment. As he was landing, Padmé herself ran outside onto the veranda to greet him. Once Anakin laid his eyes upon her, he didn't even wait for the ship to fully touch the ground. He quickly popped open the canopy and jumped out, not stopping until she was tight in his arms. Padmé didn't stop until she was safe in his arms either, crashing into him and holding him like he was going to be gone in the next couple of seconds. No words were exchanged, just an embrace that exchanged their longing for each other.
"I missed you, I am so glad you are okay." Padmé murmured as he lifted her chin to meet her eyes.

"I missed you too, Angel." He whispered and softly placed his lips where they called home, onto Padmé's. She kissed him back with the same vigor; anxiety, confusion, fear all melted away in this one kiss.

Breaking away slowly, Padmé gasped.

"Oh, Ani- I almost forgot to tell you that-"

"That I'm here?"

Anakin pulled Padmé to the side of him only to see his former master in the threshold of the veranda, watching the couple wearily.

"M-master?" Anakin stuttered and Obi-Wan nodded.

"It's me. You wanted me to watch over Padmé, did you not?" He asked, his thick accent cutting through the tension.

"Um- yeah, I- did..." The younger Jedi murmured and rubbed the nape of his neck.

"Well, Padmé told me the whole story-" Obi-Wan began and eyed Anakin.

"Yeah, wait-" He turned to Padmé in a panic. "How much did you tell him?"

"Enough." She stated simply. Anakin's eyes flicked over to Obi-Wan to read his emotions. However, Obi-Wan's mind was heavily guarded with strong mental shields... like he didn't want Anakin probing...

"I am not angry at you, Anakin. I just want to know why you didn't come to me when you had a problem." The older Jedi explained with a softer tone.

"Obi-Wan, I just- I just didn't think you would understand. I was... scared- scared you were going to report me to the council and be disappointed in me. I never wanted to hurt you like this, master. Or the Jedi." Anakin said, pure, raw emotion in his eyes, pleading his master to understand.

"And so you burned the Jedi Temple?" Obi-Wan exclaimed, trying his hardest to keep his temper at bay.

"I am so sorry, Master. Palpatine, Sidious-"