Part Sixteen

PLEASE DON'T FREAK OUT. 

READ ALL OF IT.

A harsh lighting filtered through Padmé Amidala's eyelids and her body began to arise from its previous unconsciousness. Her eyes slowly fluttered open and a sense of surrealness overcame her. Almost as if she was in a dream...

A stark white room stared back at her as she processed an empty feeling inside of her. The baby was gone.

"When did that happen?"

All her movements seemed to be in slow motion. She had a hard time processing the world around her, like she wasn't even real. Yet when she fingered her lips, they were cold and tangible. Real. Upon this realization, Padmé sluggishly turned her head to the side and was met with a tangle of her curls. However, she ignored them when she caught sight of Anakin; head in his hands, sitting in a chair adjacent to her bed. A breath escaped her lips as she looked at him, an outpour of love within her heart. Upon hearing the noise, Anakin gazed up to see Padmé's chocolate eyes, staring deep into his soul. Tears marked his face but he wiped them away and gave her a shaky smile. A ghost of a smile touched her lips but she could tell something was... off.

Anakin scooted up next to her, taking her hand and kissing it lovingly.

"Oh thank the force, I'm so happy you're okay, Padmé. I don't know what I would do without you. I love you so much." He murmured, moving to kiss her cheek. Oddly, Padmé denied him that privilege and moved away, sitting up a bit in her bed. Anakin's face morphed into an expression of confusion but Padmé just stared at him.

"Anakin, what has happened? What's wrong?" She asked, her eyes pleading for him to tell the truth. Her husband looked a bit shocked at the accusation and yet, he lowered his eyes and bit his lip.

"Don't worry about that right now, Pad-"

"No, Anakin," She interrupted, unconsciously feeling the new bandages stuck to her abdomen. "Tell me what happened. Please."

He sighed, tears clouding his vision yet again. Anakin seemed to be trying his hardest to hold back his emotions but not even the chosen one could hold back tears of mourning...

"Something terrible has happened, Padmé." Anakin murmured softly, rubbing the back of her hand.

"What?" She asked quietly, tilting her head slightly to gaze into her husband's eyes. The way he looked back at her was almost horrifying, as if part of him had died.

"The child... the children... they- they didn't make it." He quivered, averting his eyes yet again. Disbelief was her first reaction, she gazed around the room, tearing it apart in her mind. Padmé listened for the sounds of crying, her eyes scanned around for a nursery, something, anything. And all she found was nothing.

Shock slammed into Padmé's chest, reaching inside her body and clawing at her heart. Her breath stopped and she just stared at Anakin. In that moment, the reality of the situation didn't really settle in. The words Anakin spoke, they were just... words. They didn't mean anything unless you put meaning to them. That didn't take long.

"You- they-?"

"I didn't realize before your c-section that the medical droid said children instead of a child. Padmé, you were pregnant with twins, a boy and a girl." Anakin explained and ran a hand through his hair.

"So, you mean- that they are- are- dead?" The senator asked with a gasp. Anakin's face gave it away before he answered.

"Yes, Padmé. They... are dead."

Padmé furrowed her eyebrows and shook her head with vigor, eyes watering up.

"No, no, no! They can't be! I felt them before... I knew they were okay just-" She exclaimed as anxiety coursed through her veins.

"Padmé..." Anakin began through his tears, "They are gone."

She sighed harshly, a cold feeling erupting in her lungs. An empty feeling dug its way into her stomach and she blinked her eyes rapidly to settle the tears. They were gone.

Reality finally settled in. It was a stab to the heart.

Padmé let out a bloodcurdling scream that was built with all of the anguish, horrors and pain that she had experienced these past few days, the past few years, her entire life. Her children were dead, many of the Jedi were dead, the Republic she fought so hard for- dead. Everything she knew... gone.

Sobs then racked her body, harsh cries that quickly rubbed her throat raw. She felt a strong arm wrap around her body and pull her close. Padmé knew it was Anakin and she sunk into his arms, laying her head on his shoulder. Screams filled the room as she continued to cry, unsure of everything in her life.

"Anakin, w-why? Why did this happen? Why us?" She asked Anakin through her muffled cries. He rubbed her back softly and rested his chin on her hair.

"I don't- I don't know Padmé, only the force does." Anakin murmured, despair clinging to his voice.

She sniffed and untangled herself from him, rubbing her eyes.

"I-I just c-c-an't b-elieve it." Padmé stuttered and fell back slowly into her bed. Her eyes were wide in disbelief at the thought that she would never see her children.

"I'm so sorry, Padmé...we'll- we'll get through this." Anakin said, looking slightly unconvinced at his own statement.

"No, this is so unselfish of me. You fulfilled your destiny-"

"But at what cost?" Anakin interrupted. Fingering his hair, he sighed.

"What cost..."

"Ani," Padmé began, "You aren't a Sith. If you were, I don't think none of us would have lived. Especially not you, the man I truly love."

"I'm sorry... for all of this..."

"I'm sorry too, this is all my fault. I was so reckless carrying them."

"No, it's not," Anakin rebuttled. "None of us caused this. Things happen for a reason sometimes... they are one with the force now..." His gaze was sad and distant, yet Anakin had a knowing look. Like he knew they would would be okay."

"Luke... Leia... Goodbye..." Padmé whispered and embraced her husband once again as dawn illuminated the Coruscanti sky.

CALM DOWN.  DON'T FREAK OUT.  WAIT FOR THE EPILOGUE.  IT SHALL EXPLAIN EVERYTHING.  I PROMISE, MY REASONING WILL BE SEEN.  JUST WAIT, PLEASE. 

I WILL TRY TO UPDATE ASAP HOWEVER, WITH SCHOOL, I DO NOT KNOW HOW MUCH TIME I WILL HAVE.  PLEASE BEAR WITH ME. <3