Chapter 18

A visitor from London

James knew that he wouldn't be able to keep a secret any much longer, that something like this would happen sooner or later.

Amanda had found him!

He crossed his legs and his hands gripped the armrests rather tightly, "Why are you here Amanda?" he asked a slim beautiful figure that took a seat graciously on the leather couch across him.

Talking about the most gracious lady, she would be one of the best and James could only dream that her heart was the same but in reality she wasn't and that made her less attractive than the rest.

"I want to get to know my new cousin." She said, her eyes twinkled.

James didn't buy her answer, "Oh yeah? Why now? She was in London to see your grandad months ago."

"I was busy Nick, you know that. Besides I miss you too... " She smiled sweetly at him. "How could you leave without telling me anything?"

"I don't want to interrupt, you're clearly busy." James answered sarcastically, clearly unhappy with her lame reasoning.

Amanda pouted, she knew it would be this hard talking to Nicholas. He had been her friend for a decade. She knew him well. "What the hell are you doing here anyway?"

"My dad punishes me because I punched George."

"Oh my god that was six months ago... "

"What can I say, he is mean." He shrugged.

She raised her eyebrows. Nicholas took his punishment just like that? For six months? She thought she knew him well enough but his unemotional, rather submissive, reply amazed her.

"So, what did Diana say about having the famous Stratford as her butler?"

"She doesn't know. My dad made it clear that I can't be treated special." He answered slyly using his father's name to stop her from spilling his secret. She knew how nasty William Stratford could be if someone ruined his plan and James used this to his advantage.

Amanda couldn't be trusted, it was her nature and as soon as she held someone's card, she would make a good use of it. James had to be extra careful with her.

She was a sneaky girl, James knew her like a book. They were friends for years, since her father got married to Edward's sister. He hung out with her a lot, not because he liked her but because she was from a rich family, because they had the same lifestyle, because she wasn't a commoner.

But came to think about it now, he clearly called his former self stupid. Most of his trouble was caused by her. She was greatly persuasive, she liked to play games and watch people suffer. And what she did to him was taking him around and encouraged him to do something daring, something naughty, something against the rules, and he let her because he loved the thrill and because every trouble that she managed to get him into could be solved with money.

"Interesting... " She commented, cutting his train of thoughts.

"Call me James from now on."

"Ah... okay. I understand." She winked. "So Butler James, show me my room please?"

"Your room?"

"Yes, I want to stay here. I want to be with my cousin and have pyjamas party with her."

"Amanda, you can't be here."

"Says who? The butler?" she grinned. "Go on show me my room, oh and please be careful with my suitcases... "

James groaned loudly, he was absolutely sure that she would cause trouble sooner or later.

***

The way she interacted with him, the way she talked to him, the way she smiled at him.....