Chapter 21

Nicholas had been missing for two weeks now and his secretary Cloe didn't want to open her mouth about his whereabouts. Not even with Diana's begging or persuasion.

Diana had no time for that anyway, she was mostly worried about the plan that Grandpa Wellesley had arranged for her.

The announcement day.

"What the hell Grandpa?" Diana protested.

"Sweetie. I can see you are ready. Look at you, beautiful, smart, elegant and I heard positive reports about you from work. You are a Wellesley now. You're ready for the world. Invitations have been sent. The party will be in the next two weeks. Robert will organise everything. Right Robert?" Grandpa asked the family butler.

"Yes sir." Robert answered surely and winked at Diana.

"But Grandpa, I have to go back to work."

"Oh don't worry Sweetie, Robert will call your boss. Right Rob?"

"Yes Sir."

Diana hung her head down. She thought Grandpa Wellesley was a normal old man who loved to sit around enjoying his days talking to her but the fact was he loved to rock the boat.

And here she was in her Elie Saab's red dress with a-meter train behind her and her Jimmy Choo's shoes made her calves worked harder. She was in the most uncomfortable state of her life and she had to put up her brave face to get through the night.

Diana's cheeks were hurt already for giving everyone her warmest smile and her eyes were blinded by flash from more than a dozen cameras. Grandpa invited press too?

She cringed inwardly.

She would never get used to this. All the attention, the nonsense conversation, the fake smiles...

Grandpa kindly flew Nana, Maya, Lisa and her friends to attend the party. William Stratford and his gorgeous wife that Diana learnt to adore were there too, together with some of their relatives. About two dozen Wellesleys came to the main residence to congratulate her, including Amanda and her date, Patrick!

"Oh dear... " Diana talked under her breath.

As much as she was shocked by the reality, she didn't want to know how that happened. But she was happy seeing Patrick and Amanda seemed to be drowned in each other like two love birds. At least no one would bug her and James now.

Talking about James, Diana blew a long breath. She missed him like crazy. He was the only one who could calm her down in any nerve-wrecking situation just like this and she would give anything to have him here right now.

He made a promise to be here with her when the time came but he didn't.

She was about to walk away to the bathroom to have a short break, her eyes scanned the crowd one more time before walking away and her eyes caught a movement from the main door, she saw someone entering the floor with all his glory. She almost didn't recognise him if not for the familiarity in his movement.

James.....

Her heart skipped a beat and she held the urge to run toward him and threw herself into his arms.

His hair was back to the original colour, blonde, his glasses were gone and his strong jaws covered with five-day stubble. He looked dazzling in his well-tailored charcoal suit.

Diana worked her hardest to stay still and waited for him until he found her standing elegantly in her fifty-thousand-dollar gown.

His blue eyes lingered at her for a few seconds with an unreadable expression - almost cold, before taking her hand and kissed it.