Chapter 20

London

Wellesley's residence always impressed Diana every time she came over. The huge yard with well-trimmed grass and bushes, the fountain, the classic stone walls, the majestic tower, the oversized windows... It was like a little kingdom that stood still in time, separated from the outside world. She wouldn't be surprised to find people walking around in their 17th century clothing around there.

Robert the head butler greeted her when she stepped into the main door and took her straight to the back side of the house to see her grandpa.

"Sweetie..... " the old man took her in his arms as soon as Diana appeared in front of him. "What are you doing here? Why didn't you call first?"

"Grandpa." She kissed his wrinkly cheek then gave him a bear hug. "I was in a hurry." She explained.

"How are you Honey? I've missed you so much."

"I miss you too grandpa."

"What brings you here Sweetie?" He didn't let go of her hand and guided her to sit next to him. They were outside, in the rose garden. The weather was surprisingly nice and grandpa clearly wanted to enjoy the sun.

"I want to see you." She smiled.

"Oh Sweetie, it's Nicholas isn't it?" Grandpa read her like a book.

Diana blushed, apparently her puffy eyes said it all.

"What happened with you two? I don't understand. I thought we will have a wedding soon."

"Oh grandpa, no wedding please."

"I know... I know... you're still too young blah... blah... blah.... But I am not getting younger either Diana and the only thing that I haven't got is to see both families become one."

"But Nicholas doesn't want me anymore Grandpa."

"What?! Nonsense."

"I went to Stratford house straight from the airport but he wasn't there. His parents didn't know where he was. He disappeared."

"Ah... " He nodded knowingly. "What did you do to him anyway?" His tone sounded patronising but his lips smiled a little.

"I think I broke his heart... " Guiltily Diana checked her laps, avoiding grandpa's stare.

Grandpa laughed loudly his hands were holding his beer belly. "You broke Nicholas' heart? That's my girl."

"Grandpa!!!"

"He is probably sulking somewhere. Don't worry Sweetie, he'll come back. Trust me."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because he did it before. He made everyone panic after the love of his life left him for a commoner. He ran away and hid in his holiday house in Switzerland for a month."

"Someone broke his heart before?"

"Yes yes, a few years back, he had this girlfriend... Ugh I can't remember her name... Naomi... Nancy... Natalie... Yes Natalie..... Nicholas took her here so many times. He was like my own grandson you know. He played in this garden since he was two. Every time he found a girl he would bring her here to meet me and I thought Natalie would be the one. He and Natalie were inseparable till one day she left him for her neighbour. That guy, he wasn't even handsome. Compared to Nicholas, he was like a piece of dust on the street. He worked in a factory, he only had an old car, he dressed up like a farmer but Natalie fell in love with him." Grandpa Wellesley sighed. "I guess Natalie had slammed Nicholas' ego into a mud. He was a wreck when Natalie dropped the bomb. Lately I found out that Natalie scared of his lifestyle and status. Can you believe it?" Grandpa snorted.

"I guess I can... " Diana cringed, she was like that too till that night when she told James that she wasn't good enough for Nicholas.

But she had now decided that she would embrace it. She determined that she wouldn't let it be the burden of her life. She was a Wellesley after all. The blood ran in her veins and nothing she could do to change it. Besides she always saw thing from the positive perspective, the power that she had could help a lot of people and she kind of liked it. Not to mention that she got to meet James, her first love who now disappeared into thin air and made her angry.

Ugh...

Grandpa tapped her hand seeing her face changed before continuing his story, "Nicholas turned into a brat after he got back from his mourning. He became the centre of attention of those gossip magazines and paparazzis. He used all of his power to get Natalie back but he had never succeeded till he decided to just stop dating and concentrated on his work. His company rocketed into the most profitable one in England. He crushed everyone who was in his way and he didn't hesitate to use his power and money to get what he wanted, he became heartless."

Diana bit her lips. That was what Amanda whispered into her ear, that she wouldn't be a match for Nicholas, that Diana wouldn't be able to climb up as high as him and satisfied him. Diana now knew that Nicholas must have been hurt by what she told him in the last party, that they weren't in the same lifestyle.

Oh god, Diana hurt him, he must be broken hearted again right now. All of sudden it was all clear to her why James was an arrogant brat, sarcastic and he hated the plain side of her. He wasn't a bad guy after all, he was just hurt. He was in pain......

"Thank god that was over when he punched George. Bill was really upset and wanted to send Nicholas to jail but your silly father made him your butler instead. Ed said only you can tame his heart." Grandpa explained the reason why he became Diana's butler.

Her jaws dropped. So that was why he became her butler? It wasn't his choice. "That must be awful for him..... " she muttered.

"That kid, you should see his tantrum after that, he came here to see me and asked my help to free him but I said to him if he could turn you into a princess, then marrying you won't be too hard anymore ." He chuckled.

"Grandpa you were mean."

"I remember clearly he called me ridiculous. But a few weeks after he rang me, he said you are weird but he likes you and last month he asked your dad if he could marry you one day." Grandpa took a short glance toward Diana who listened to his explanation intently. "If he hadn't told you who he was, he was probably embarrassed about his mistake and punishment. That boy is cocky, let me tell you."

Diana rested her head on his large shoulder and cried.

Nicholas loved her that much, and he was seriously wanted to marry her...

"Grandpa, what should I do? I love him too Grandpa. I treated him so badly... I wished I knew, I wished he just came to me and told me what's going on."

"Oh Sweetie.... " He looped his large arm around her shoulder and took her in, "Give him some times. He'll be back."

***