Chapter 1

Section 13

a. In the event of a Grim Reaper resigning from his/her duties, they are to put a letter of resignation on their supervisor's desk. Also, they must place their glasses next to it, as their glasses are part of their uniform. Failure to do so would mean they are still part of the Reaper Association. After this is done, they would quickly remove themselves from Reaper HQ. These people are considered "Deserters."

I didn't have any doubt about what I did. Why would I? It was obviously the best choice. The only choice, actually. They had left me with nothing. It was their fault. There were millions of scenarios that could have played out, but they made my last resort the only possible one.

I sat in the coach of the carriage, being chosen to drive it, wearing all black clothing and a hat to hide my hair and cover my face so the servants wouldn't recognize me. Me driving made a lot of sense, actually. I was sure the other two had much to talk about. Plus, since Ciel had given me new glasses, I could see again.

They weren't as great as my splattered ones, but they would do. Still, they were pretty plain. There was no rim around the rectangular lenses. At least they weren't like Mey-Rin's. I would have hated to wear those circular ones she had. They would be hideous on me.

Originally, the two were going to Hell, literally, but since I was with them, they couldn't. Reapers weren't allowed, which I thought was stupid, but Sebastian said there was a good reason. He never did tell me that reason. I suppose he thought that much would suffice, which it didn't.

Anyways, that meant I was going to be driving blind. Ciel said that would be fine. As long as I got him out of London, he didn't care where we went.

We were all waiting outside, parked next to the Manor. Bard, Mey-Rin, and Finni were lined up, and Ciel was standing by the door. Finally, we saw Sebastian walking up. He flashed me a smile. It made me happy that even though he was furious, I could still make him smile.

"What took you so long, Sebastian?" Ciel asked.

"I apologize. We can leave now," Sebastian told him.

"Young master, it's really true? You're leaving us?" Finni questioned. They all looked so sad, and I felt a little bad for them. They didn't even know the truth.

Ciel told them as Sebastian helped him into the carriage, "Do whatever you like with the mansion. You're free to stay here if you want. Or burn it. I don't really care."

They all gasped and ran over to the door of the carriage. Bard exclaimed, "We could never do that!"

Ciel wondered, "Why ever not?"

"Because this place is filled with memories!" Finni told him.

The young earl laughed a little at them, "Memories don't mean anything in the end. Haven't I proved that much already?"

Mey-Rin denied, "That's not true, master!"

Sebastian interrupted, "Excuse us, but the sun is going down. We must be leaving." He climbed into the carriage and shut the door. The three staggered back.

I snapped the reins and the horses started trotting away. My hat, not having been put on securely, fell off, letting my black hair flow. My eyes widened and I immediately looked back behind me. The three were staring at me. Mey-Rin shouted, "Willow?! Is that you?!"

Well... might as well make it look like it was on purpose, I thought, knowing I couldn't really deny it. I smirked and winked at them, waving for a second. They had a look on their faces that seemed like a cross between terror, happiness, and confusion. I giggled a little and turned back around, snapping the reins once more. The horses sped up.

I heard Ciel say from the carriage, "Was that really a smart idea? You'll be the talk of London now."

"I apologize, my lord, for that mishap, but let's be reasonable in this situation. Everyone now thinks your dead. Since my death was so recent and quickly followed by your own, people will think they have gone crazy with grief. They might assume the same thing. We should be safe," I assured him.

"I agree with her, young master," Sebastian sided with me.

"Fine, then. Where are we going?" he asked.

"I don't know," I shrugged.

"Then, when will we get there?" he said.

"Before dark. Hopefully. Do not worry. Time isn't exactly an issue for us," I smirked.

"I suppose. Just make sure we get as far away from London as we can," he ordered me.

"Yes, my lord," I answered. I was just as happy to leave. I looked over at the setting sun and smiled.

Becoming a Reaper was my true beginning, but it wasn't where I belonged. I was meant to be with Sebastian and Ciel. It felt right. Perhaps I would finally be able to live out my life peacefully.

Even after everything I had been through, I was still such a fool.