Chapter 13

The sound of a door creaking open awakened me. I opened my eyes a little and saw that it was still late at night. I sighed and tried to go back to sleep, thinking it was only a Sebastian.

As I laid in the bed longer, my senses heightened as my sleepy fog no longer coated them. It was then I detected a Reaper in the room with me. I shot out of bed with my scythe in hand. My heart skipped a beat when I saw Sebastian was no longer in the chair next to the bed. When my eyes landed on my intruder, I growled, "Back for more?"

Will held his hands up and told me, "I'm not here to fight. I don't have any weapons." I still wasn't ready to let my guard down.

"Sebastian was guarding over us. Where is he?" I demanded.

"I'm not sure, but he isn't here," my father answered.

"Then, when will he be back?"

"Never."

I paused for a moment. "I... I don't understand," I told him.

Will explained, "Sebastian's abandoned you, Willow."

I denied, "He would never! You're lying!"

He insisted, "I'm telling the truth." I pushed him against the wall, the rod of my death scythe placed against his throat.

"Stop it! What did you do to him? Where have you taken him?" I screamed, tears filling my eyes.

"I've done nothing. He told me his plan to leave you during our fight earlier. I was instructed to retrieve you and take you back to Reaper HQ," Will informed me calmly.

"Give me one reason why he would ever do this!" I demanded, grinding my teeth.

"I believe he idiotically thought you were more trouble than you're worth," he revealed. I staggered back in shock. My worst fear, realized. I never thought he would actually decide that. I thought I meant more to him than that. He seemed so ready, so prepared to fight for us... "Apparently, the work of fighting Reapers and constantly changing plans to get to a new country was not pleasing to him. The boy went along with it when he suggested the plan."

"I don't believe you," I shook my head.

"See for yourself," he suggested, nodding his head towards the hall.

I looked towards it and back to the man in front of me. Why should I have trusted him, of all people? I breathed air out through my clenched teeth, making a hiss. I bolted out and quickly found Ciel's room. I found the door locked, so I slammed my foot against it. The door easily fell off its hinges. I peered inside. The room was completely empty, but the crumpled sheets suggested someone had been there recently.

"Ciel? Sebastian? Are you in here?" I whispered into the air. I took a few steps inside. My eyes shut as the silence lingered. Seconds ticked by, indicated by the clock on the wall. Each tick was another piece of my hope dying. I must have waited a full minute before my eyes popped open. I was disappointed to see they hadn't magically appeared, telling me it was all a trick. I wouldn't have even been mad. That was all I wanted to hear. It would have been the best news in the world.

I slowly walked back to my room and found Will waiting patiently for me. He hadn't moved from the spot he had been standing in. I sank onto the bed and whispered, "It can't be. Sebastian... he said he wouldn't leave me. He told me he loved me. He literally just said that. Why would he ever lie? What did I ever do to him?" Tears fell, slow but steady. My world was at a standstill.

Will sat next to me and apologized, "I'm so sorry, Willow."

A violent shiver was sent through my body, making me gasp. I felt something happen. I can barely explain its effects on me. The pain that was in my heart subsided as I gritted my teeth, "Don't be. I was right from the beginning. Love... it's a terrible thing. It's not meant for me. I should have never let myself feel it. I was stupid, but I realize my mistake now." I stood up and pushed my glasses up on my nose. I rested my scythe next to me. "A Reaper shows no emotion, yes?"

William confirmed, "Yes. Are you ready to go back?"

I answered, "Might as well. There's nothing more for me here." I glanced out the window, seeing the reels of Cinematic Records shoot through the starry sky. My eyes moved away from them, and I reached out my hand to Will. He stared at it for a moment, shocked by the gesture, before taking it. He stood and we walked out of the boardinghouse, going back to Reaper HQ.

I didn't shiver because I was cold. I knew what happened. The warmth Sebastian made me discover faded. My heart was frozen once more, not beating. The way it should have stayed. It was never meant to thaw.