Chapter 5

Ireland was a far ways away. We would have to travel all the way through England and Wales before taking a boat there. It wasn't ideal, nothing about the situation was, but what else was there to do?

In order to move along quicker, we decided to take a series of shortcuts and back roads. That way, we also stayed out of the sight of Reapers. They all had to be on the lookout for me by then. They knew my face. I was the most wanted Reaper in the United Kingdom, and I barely understood why.

Sebastian had to drive the carriage since I didn't know those roads. We would easily get lost if I drove, so I accompanied Ciel in the carriage. As I was glancing out the window at the trees blurring by, I pushed my glasses up on my nose. "They don't suit you," Ciel said.

I looked over at him, confused, "Pardon?"

"Your new glasses. Compared to your old ones, they don't suit you," he clarified.

"My lord, you never saw my other glasses."

"Sebastian told me what they looked like when I asked. His vivid description gives me a good image. I can imagine you wearing them. These plain ones don't compliment your fiery personality well," he told me. I smiled a little.

"Yes, the others were custom. All Reaper spectacles are. They were made specifically for me and no one else, so I'm not surprised these would seem dull in comparison," I agreed.

"One of the many things you've lost," he mumbled.

"My lord?"

Ciel wondered, "Is it really worth it? You've given up all these things, and for what? Love?"

I nodded, "Of course, it is worth it. You sound like it's a ridiculous thing, my lord. I would think you'd understand somewhat. You have a fiancée, after all. Or, rather, you did."

He said, "She was a cousin. That was all I saw her as. It was arranged."

I asked, "Then, do you not believe my feelings are true?"

"I've known Sebastian for three years. He has never acted the way he does around you. He has never cared for anyone, especially a human," he stated.

I commented, "So, it's true. You're curious."

Ciel said, "He's a demon. As far as I knew, he couldn't love. I don't see how one person can change his perspective."

"Are you saying he has never been with someone else?" I asked quietly, trying to make sure Sebastian did not hear. I leaned in closer to him.

"I'm not sure," he shrugged.

"Don't you know anything about his past?" I questioned.

"No, I didn't care. All I wanted to know was who killed my parents. Anything that happened before me held no interest. But now..." he trailed off.

"You feel it, too?"

The earl sighed, "Like he isn't saying everything he knows? Yes. I think we're missing something."

I leaned back in my seat and crossed my arms over my chest. No one knew a thing about his past except for me, which wasn't much. I didn't know what was wrong. Why would Sebastian keep anything from us? Was it that terrible? Was it essential to us? I couldn't be sure, but... that nagging feeling wasn't leaving.

Still, it was Sebastian we were talking about. He wouldn't keep secrets from me. We had always been so honest with each other. For what reason would that ever change?