Chapter 2

The stars came out and I was forced to stop in a small village where the townspeople probably wouldn't recognize Ciel. I got off the coach and opened the carriage door. "We've arrived at... well, I don't know where we are, actually," I frowned, helping Ciel out of the carriage. Sebastian climbed out after him.

"What are we supposed to do if we don't even know where we are?" Ciel questioned.

Sebastian said, "We should find lodgings for the night. After all, I believe Reapers still need sleep, yes?" I nodded my head.

Ciel nodded, "Then, let's go. There should be a small boardinghouse somewhere around here."

Considering it was the only building with candles still flickering in the windows, we found a boardinghouse quickly. Sebastian signed us into the register, but the landlady frowned, "I'm sorry, but I only have two rooms."

Ciel said, "Well, I'm not sharing, which only leaves you both. That won't prove too much of an I convince for you, will it?"

"It won't, my lord," Sebastian immediately said. I blushed a little. Ciel looked over at me, waiting for my answer.

"Of course, it won't," I told him. Ciel smirked, satisfied. The woman handed us our keys and Sebastian went with Ciel to his room to help him change into his nightwear. I walked into mine, seeing it was small, but had at least enough room for two people.

I could see everything even though the only light came from the moon. It was another power Reapers had. Still, I lit a candle that was on the bedside table. Then, I walked over to the window.

Most people could see stars, but the reels of records got in my way. There was a good amount surrounding us. Dozens of souls were being reaped. It only reminded me of Reaper HQ. I might have been happy with my decision, but I was still worried about what they would do.

"What are you looking at?" Sebastian asked from behind me. I glanced back at him before turning back to the sky.

"Cinematic Records. A lot of souls are being reaped tonight," I told him. "You can't see them, but trust me, they're there."

He walked up next to me and asked, "Should we be worried?"

I shook my head, "No. The London Division doesn't branch out this far. Besides, I would just be another Reaper to them. They wouldn't be able to tell a difference between me and one of their workers." I turned my head to him and saw he was much more relaxed than when he was earlier. "Never mind me. How are you, Sebastian?"

He sighed, "I'm stuck serving a child for the rest of my days. I've definitely been better."

I hoped, "Maybe he'll terminate the order."

"I highly doubt that, Willow. Now, I've even brought you into my mess," he frowned.

"I volunteered for this. Don't forget that," I said seriously.

"I didn't think he would give in. If I had known that, I would have tried to stop you," Sebastian said.

"Are you saying you didn't want me to come?" I asked, slightly hurt.

He quickly replied, "Of course not! I want to be with you, Willow, but... I want you to be happy. Becoming a Deserter just seems like it would cause many problems. I thought you would want to be with your father."

I grounded my teeth at the mention of Will and gripped the windowsill tightly. I glared at one of the records floating in the sky, "He's not important. Yes, he's my father, but that's all he is. All he'll ever be. He holds no special meaning to me."

He sighed, "Exactly. I was hoping that would change."

I grumbled, "It's not like you would understand." Then, I said, "Or maybe you would. I don't know anything about your parents or other family, now that I think about it."

He shrugged, "They were both demons. I don't talk to them, and they don't try to reach out to me."

I cocked my head to the side, "Are you saying you were abandoned, too?"

"We aren't exactly caring creatures."

"You care about me."

"That's a bit different," Sebastian told me.

"Different how?" I asked.

He ran a hand through his hair and sighed, "It's complicated." I glared. It wasn't like things hadn't already been complex lately. I was sure I could understand whatever it was he wouldn't tell me.

"Fine. Don't tell me. I'll find out one way or another sometime," I promised, laying down on the bed.

"We'll see about that," Sebastian told me as he walked around the bed to the other side. Then, he laid beside me and pulled me closer to him, wrapping his long arms around me. I rested my head on his chest, listening to his heart beat. How ironic. The heartless creature was the most compassionate one.

I mumbled, falling asleep, "I love you, Sebastian."

He kissed my hair, "I love you, too. I'm glad we're finally together."