Eli Goldsworthy Moving On ~4~

The next day, Eli waited for Serena on top of the stairs.  Her father rolled up in an expensive looking car, Serena jumped out before the it came to a complete stop. “Bye, Serena! I love you!” Her father yelled after.

She didn’t even look back.

Eli jumped up from his spot on the stairs and chased after her.

“Hey.”

Serena casted him a side-long glance. “Hi.”

“Can we talk?”

Serena stopped, turning Eli saw the tired expression on her face, her eyes looked kind of puffy, Eli guessed she had cried herself to sleep the night before.

“I’m not in a talking mood.”

“How about later, then?”

“I feel like if I say no you’ll be like Edward stalking Bella.”

“Bleh, was that a twilight reference?”

“The books were good! The movies sucked.”

“Can I meet you at The Dot? Do you know what it is?”

“Yes,” Serena said, smiling slightly. “I’ll see you there.”

*

Eli looked through the window of The Dot, a local café in the area he lived. Serena was sitting there looking through her phone. Eli knew she was waiting for him, but he didn’t know what this meant for them.

Was she considering him as more than a friend or just friends? Was this a date?

Serena’s head snapped up and looked at . . . Fitz. He looked innocent enough, just taking her order, but either way, since the incident with the knife, Eli didn’t want Fitz near his girlfriend.

In the back of his mind, Eli realized he had called Serena his girlfriend.

Serena smiled when she saw him, but that smile went to a frown when she saw the angry look on his face.

“Eli,” Fitz said, gravely. His face lost its color, making his freckles stick out even more. His pale eyes took in Eli’s hard expression.

“Stay away from her Fitz,” Eli said, dangerously low.

Fitz stared at Eli then at Serena. He turned to walk away but Serena grabbed his wrist. “Don’t go, Frizzle. We were talking, he,” she threw a glare at Eli, “isn’t the boss of me.”

“No,” Fitz said. “I have to get back to work. I’ll see you around.” Fitz looked at Eli and the hard expression on his face and said, “Or not.” Fitz walked away quickly, combing his hand through his dark hair, without looking back.

“What the hell was that?” Serena asked, frowning.

“That guy’s bad news, Serena.” Serena stared at Eli, and then punched him in the arm, hard. “Ow! What was that for?” Serena picked up her messenger bag and walked out without a word. “Serena, wait.”

Eli grabbed Serena by the arm and held onto her. “Please, don’t leave.” Eli was tired of people leaving him. He wouldn’t let Serena go, she was his last and only hope. “I’ll explain.”

Serena stared at him. “If you didn’t have such pretty eyes, I’d say no.”

*

“Wow,” Serena said, looking at Eli. “No offense, but your life sucks.”

Eli nodded, not looking at her. They were on top of his roof, staring out at the stars. Serena was the first person Eli had ever opened up to so easily. He had told her about Julia, Claire, the hoarding, Fitz, his mortician’s van.

Serena sat up and took Eli’s hand, looking at him intensely. “Babe, you know you’re not the reason Julia died. You can’t blame yourself, I’m not gonna sit here and give you that you’ll-move-on crap. You may never get over her, but you can’t put all that pressure an every girl you date. Julia will always be in your heart.”

Eli looked away. “I can’t help it.”

“Claire felt the pressure, she stayed for as long as she could, but I don’t blame her for leaving, but the way she left is kind of messed up,” Serena went on. “Date a tougher girl.”

“You seem tough,” Eli said, looking at her again, a smile on his lips.

Serena smiled. “Elijah Goldsworthy, are you flirting with me?”

“Maybe a little.”

“How about a lot?” Serena grinned.

She sat forward, pressing her lips to his. Eli trapped her face in his hands, deepening the kiss. He moved his to touch her bottom, just when he felt her opening her mouth to allow him to enter, Eli’s father, Bullfrog called up to them.

“Kids, it’s time to come down!”

Eli pulled away and sighed, throwing himself back. Serena smiled, licking her lips.

“Your father’s right, I should go. I’ll see you around school.”

“Wait,” Eli grabbed her arm for the second time that day. Serena turned and stared at him. “What does this mean, for us?”

“It depends.”

“On?”

“If you’re ready to move on from Claire . . . and Julia.”

Eli thought for a second, then said, “I’m ready to move on.”

“Then where ever we go now is your choice.”

“Really?” Eli smirked. “I wanna go as far as I can with you.”

Serena smiled, “How about one day at a time?” Serena leaned forward kissed him. “Bye, Green Eyes.”