Chapter 2

The next day at practice Tobin goes back to keeping things formal with Alex.

By the time practice is over Alex is pretty upset after Tobin basically ignoring any form of conversation.

"Tobin wait." Alex says grabbing the girls wrist.

The two are the only ones left in the locker room.

"What, Alex?" The brunette turns to face her ex.

"What the hell are you doing. Last night you couldn't keep your hands off me and today you go back to basically ignoring me" the blue eyed girl says hurt lacing her words.

"Go whine to your husband about it then" the midfielder shakes her head pulling her wrist away.

"I heard you on the phone with him this morning. I'm done Alex. We aren't in highschool anymore so I'm not dealing with this. Go be happy with your perfect husband and perfect life, superstar." The hazel eyed girl states.

Tobin leaves the locker room walking back to the hotel the team is staying in. Immediately she knocks on Christen and Julie's door.

"Hey Tobes, what's up?" Christen asks as she opens the door.

"Can I hang out with you and J.J. for a while?" The midfielder asks.

"Julie is actually hanging out with Kling and Moe but you are more than welcome to chill here" the forward smiles stepping aside to let her friend in.

••••••••

Over the course of the World Cup Tobin and Christen have grown progressively closer. Always hanging out, behaving how Tobin and Alex used to, basically. But lately the team has noticed lingering touches and glances shared between the two.

The team is currently preparing to play Japan in the Final. They have the day off but still have to go to team breakfast.

When Christen walks into the dining area Tobin smirks and Alex tenses.

"Pressy I know we are best friends but I know you have your own clothes" Tobin chuckles.

Christen shrugs " your hoodies are more comfortable than mine" she claims as she takes her seat next to Tobin.

'That should be me' is all that is going through Alex's mind.

After breakfast Lauren stands up. "Guys... I uh have an announcement to make."

"What's up Chen?" Tobin asks looking at her friend.

"I have talked it over with the coaching staff and I have decided to retire from my career in soccer so I can focus on starting a family. This team has been my life for the past years and I feel that this is what is best." The dark haired girl says refraining from meeting Tobin's or Arod's eyes.

Both girls feel as if they have just been hit in the stomach with a baseball bat.

"What? No. Cheney you don't have to do this you could be like Christie." Tobin says tears filling her eyes.

"It won't work out. I wouldn't be doing this if Jrue wasn't a professional athlete too." Cheney says connecting her eyes with Tobin's.

Arod sighs as she fights back tears "If this is what you really want. Then I support you." She states.

"You can't leave the team you are like my big sister" Moe says.

The rest of the team is still in shock of the words their fellow teammate had spoken.

"What happened to the new kids retiring together?" Tobin asks as the tears begin to fall.

By now the team has left the three best friends alone in the dining area.

"I wish it could be that way Tobes but I want to have a family and I can't do that with my life right now." Lauren says.

"Bring it in guys" Arod says as the three friends stand in a circle.

"No matter what we will always be the new kids" the blonde states putting her hand in the middle.

"New kids on three. One two three" Cheney says.

"New kids" they all say in unison, smiling through the tears.

•••••

When Tobin walks to Christen's room she opens the door with the room key Christen gave her and Christen smiles sadly at her.

"Hey Toby" the dark haired girl says.

The midfielder crawls onto the bed with her best friend curling up to her.

"This fucking sucks" Tobin says her voice cracking as more tears begin to flow.

Christen sighs holding onto her best friend tightly.

"I know Toby, I wish I could help" the brunette says rubbing her back.

"We were all supposed to retire together. We've been together since basically the beginning." The hazel eyed girl mumbles.

"Hey, everything happens for a reason Tobes" Christen says gently as she looks down at her best friend.

Tobin looks up smiling slightly "Thank you for being here for me"

"Anytime" Christen smiles back.

Tobin glances down at Christen's lips and gulps slightly.

Christen leans down slightly.

"Hey Pressy I'm back!" Julie yells into the room making the two girls basically leap apart.

"I should probably go make sure Arod is holding up okay" Tobin says her face slightly paled.

"Okay, I'll uh see you later Tobes" Christen smiles at her as the hazel eyed girl leaves.

"Oh my god did I interrupt something?" J.J. asks worriedly.

"I'm not exactly sure" the forward mumbles.

"I'm so sorry, Christen, I know how much you like her" the blonde says apologetically.

"Its okay, Julie" the brunette smiles.

•••••

'Holy shit I almost kissed Christen' Tobin thinks to herself as she walks into her room that she shares with Kelley.

'I wanted to kiss her and I think she wanted to kiss me too' the brunette thinks as she flops on her bed with a smile spread across her face.

A/N:I apologize for any errors my phone hasn't been working right lately so yeah sorry guys... Let me know what you think -Kaycee