"I really like you. Will you go out with me?"

25: "I really like you. Will you go out with me?"

"Haley, I was thinking." I look at him blankly. He takes both my hands. "Haley, do you like me?" Eh? I look over his flawless skin, his bright eyes and the reddish brown hair that sweeps over his forehead.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"I really like you. Will you go out with me?"

It's the perfect escape. Dr. Thornton can get his bloody face out of my life and I can put all the crappy rumors behind me. A taken guy is a taken guy. The rumors will eventually die down.

Then why is the first thing I think of Trevor's face? Why do I vaguely wish Trevor were here instead? I mentally shake myself. No. Trevor didn't trust me. And even if he did, I don't want to like him. I have someone more important I can't leave behind. I can't like him. And if I have to go through a million torturous dates with Corey to stop myself, so be it.

"Uh, sure." As soon as the words leave my lips I regret them. No. I don't want this. I don't even like Corey. I just want everyone to leave me alone. I want everything to go back to how it was.

I stumble back home in a daze, barely noticing it when Trevor drags me upstairs to his room. That goddamn basket is lying on his bed, the picture ripped to shreds beside it.

"I'm sorry I doubted you." I look at him.

"What?"

"Corey was late to practice so he went straight to the weight room. That's why I didn't see him. Clarice was locked in that closet. You were right. I was wrong." He sighs and looks at me remorsefully. "I'm sorry." I look up at him. He gestures to the basket. "I didn't know people were treating you like this because of me."

"Because of Christa," I correct him. He nods and looks at me sheepishly, almost anxiously.

"There's no extension on the bet, right?"

"What?"

"Never mind." He pulls me into a hug. He smells nice, a mixture of aftershave and cologne. "I'm sorry, Haley." It's so warm and comforting that I can't help but feel worse about what just happened.

"What have I done?" I mutter remorsefully.

"What's wrong?" I let out a deep sigh.

"Corey asked me out and I said yes. And I really really don't want to go."

"You did what?" I feel his arms tighten around me, like he's afraid I'll disappear at any moment. "Do you like him?"

"No."

"Then why say yes?" he asks. I try to explain, the words tripping over themselves.

"I was thinking of you and my therapist was being a bastard and it was just so sudden I thought it would solve everything." I tremble a bit in his embrace, afraid he won't believe me.

“That makes absolutely no sense.”

The two emotions battle it out in my head. One part of me wants to explain everything, ensure that Trevor and I have a chance. The other side is scared. It wants to push him away.

"I need to talk to Clarice."

"What?"

"I just…I have to go sort this out." I all but run out of the room.

"So why did you say yes?" Clarice is confused.

"My therapist has been on my case for a while about getting a boyfriend. It's getting annoying and frankly, I don't trust him at all. I want him off my back and out of my life." Clarice nods.

"Okay. But that's not all, is it? There's something to do with Trevor too, isn't there?" I sigh and flop face-down on my bed.

"Part of me wants to like him. When I'm around him, I feel safe. I feel like I can say or do anything and he won't care. But when I'm with him, I forget all about Trina."

"So?" she asks. I sigh.

"It…it scares me. Usually I talk to her. I can hear her voice in my head. I can replay memories at will. But I haven't done that for weeks."

"Because of him."

"Because of him. I enjoy staying in the present for him."

"So it's all about Trina." The voice from behind the door makes my heart drop. It's Trevor. "If you knew Trina could be remembered without you becoming some kind of hermit, would you date Corey happily?"

"What are you talking about?"

"I heard you. You said you liked Corey. You said you felt safe and comfortable around him. You said you enjoyed staying in the present for him. Why don’t I help you with the whole Trina thing. And then you can date Corey without worrying about it all the time.”

He heard only half the conversation.

"You would help me?" I can see the hurt on his face, hanging in every crease in his beautiful eyes. Oh my God. What am I doing? I so badly want to run up and hug him.

"She wasn't talking about-" I silence Clarice with a look. I don't want Trevor to know how I feel. It's just...wrong. And awkward. Besides, I really want him to help me remember Trina.

"Trevor." I walk up to him and slip my arms around his waist. He takes a deep shaky breath. I reach up and wipe the tears from his eyes.

"Don't lie to me," he says finally. "You know you can tell me anything." I squeeze him a little tighter.

"I have something really important I need to tell you. But first, can you help me with Trina?"

_____________________________________________________________________________

Well, I'm not going to be asking for any specific votes this time. But let's see...what's our highest point so far? It was higher than 50, I swear. Ah! #39. So can we get higher than #39? Let's try to reach 30, yes?

Today can be "send this story to a friend" day! Haha. If you like this story, pick a friend, any friend! Even an enemy will do. And say "Hey, take a look at this story. I enjoy it." Hahahahaha. We'll see how that goes down...