"Guess what?"

40: "Guess what?"

"You look gorgeous!"

I bite my lip nervously.

"You really think so?"

Clarice nods.

"Definitely. Now just match that with a look of confidence and you'll do fine."

"I'm warning you, I might panic."

Clarice puts her hands on my shoulders and looks into my eyes.

"I know. Don't worry, this will go a lot smoother." I've started telling Clarice everything. I don't need to tell Trina anything because she already knows. But it's still nice to talk to her sometimes.

After I told her about Cameron’s party, Clarice insisted that I dive back into the party scene headfirst. That's why, ever since that first party, the gang has been dragging me to every bash they can. Clarice says the next step is to make me a facebook.

That's how, on Friday, December 31st, I found myself "sleeping over" at her house. She was going to take me to what was apparently the "Anderson Bash of the Year."

It's hard to believe that after everything I've gone through in these past few months, I'm going to be spending New Years at an actual bash as opposed to at home alone.

"This is going to be a new year," I say with a smile.

"That's right," says Clarice, reaching over to do my mascara. "And what is your number one resolution?" I take a deep breath, remembering what I had told her before. She enjoys reminding me of it, as though that’ll help make sure I work on it.

"To be happy," I say with a smile. I still feel bad about Trina, but Trevor, Clarice and Spike (who seems to be hanging out with Clarice more and more lately) all assured me that they would be by my side every step of the way until this inexplicable guilt is gone. Trina didn't want me to cry, Trevor says. And if I'm happy, I won't cry. You just have to cry a little before you can set everything aside. The words are oddly comforting, almost as though I have heard them before.

The doorbell rings. Clarice turns pink and runs to open the door. It's Spike, looking amazing in his tux.

"You look great," he says, looking over Clarice's light pink dress. She just stares at him in shock.

"You have a tux?" He chuckles and goes to ruffle her hair but she sidesteps him. "I just finished my hair!"

"There are times when you need a tux," he says with a smile. Clarice fingers the spot on his shirt where his tattoo would be and nods. Spike looks at me. "Like funerals for very important people."

"Like mothers?" I ask. Spike nods and comes to ruffle my hair.

"Like mothers." He lifts his hand up in disgust. "What the hell?"

 I giggle.

"I guess the hairspray hasn't dried quite yet."

Clarice starts to laugh. "You deserved it!"

"You know what you deserve?" Spike asks, approaching her slowly. He moves as if to wipe his hand on her dress. She shrieks and moves away. Spike just laughs and chases after her.

There are days when I wonder why they don't just kiss and get it over with. Maybe with the new year...

"All right, let's go." Clarice makes me sit in the front next to Spike so they can both keep an eye on me. As we approach the crowded driveway, I feel myself tense up.

"You can do this," Clarice says earnestly. Spike reaches for my hand and squeezes it.

Spike eventually finds parking and we start walking towards the enormous house. I start shivering. And not because of the cold, either. Clarice puts an arm around me.

"You've gotten a lot better," she says with a smile.

It's true. It took several parties before I was able to actually enter a venue without reliving the horror of Trina's death. Once I was inside though, I usually find the whole thing much easier. Let's just hope it was that way tonight.

We reach the entrance where the rest of the gang is waiting. Janice brought Steve, Matt and Corey are going stag in hopes of hooking up here and...well, Spike might as well be Clarice's date. Corey told me that even Matt has been bugging Spike to ask her out.

"Where's Trevor?" Corey asks, looking around.

"Trevor's family always spends New Years at some big doctor bash," Matt explains. "Shall we go inside?" He and Corey each stick an elbow out to me. I laugh and put one hand through each. The other four pair themselves off and we enter.

People. Lots of people everywhere. I avoid the spiked punch and move around the dance floor. Either Corey or Matt is always by my side.

"We're your dates for tonight!" Corey says triumphantly.

"Not so loud!" Matt hisses. "Some hot chick will hear you!"

"And she'll tell Trevor-" Corey begins with a grin.

"-and he'll kick our ass." Matt laughs. They high-five.

"Shut up!" I mutter. I still find it difficult to let myself like Trevor. That nagging guilt is still there. "He wouldn't do that. It's not like we're together or anything."

"Shh!" Corey hisses, his face completely serious. "Trevor will hear you-"

"-and it'll break his little heart!" Matt finishes.

"God, what are you soulmates or something?" I can't help but smile. Matt covers my mouth with his hand.

"Do not even joke about that in front of so many girls."

Before I know it, there's only three minute left before the ball drops. Everyone crowds around the TV and I realize that I've lost both Matt and Corey. I feel myself begin to shake as I look around for them. All I see are people. Dancing, talking, laughing. But I don't see any of my friends. Suddenly, I feel a hand on the small of my back.

"Looking for someone?" My initial terror melts into a smile.

"Trevor! I thought you were going to be at that doctor party!" His brown eyes gaze smilingly into my blue ones as he puts an arm around me and shrugs nonchalantly.

"I paid my respects and left so I could get here in time." I laugh at the look of cocky pride on his face. "Feel free to tell me I'm the best guy ever," he adds with a grin. I shake my head.

"You make it sound like I was heartbroken you weren't coming," I say with a laugh. He pouts.

"Well if you want me to leave..."

"No!" I say quickly, reaching out to catch the sleeve of his tux. He smiles and comes back, throwing his arm back over my shoulder.

"You look great," he says, eyeing my ice blue dress. "That color really brings out your eyes." I smile.

"So do you." Then I notice his pale blue bow-tie. "It matches!" He looks down in mock surprise.

"What a coincidence!" I nudge him playfully with my elbow.

"But, really, why'd you ditch that party to come here?"

"Well, I wanted to see the new year in with someone special." His eyes twinkle and I find myself lost in them for a minute.

"What?" This can't be happening. "Who?" I look around as if I'm sure he's talking about someone else. Is he? He just laughs and brings his face close to mine.

"Guess what?" he breathes.

"What?" I ask, trying to prevent myself from stepping backwards.

"I brought you a gift." He shoves a gift bag in my face. The TV says only one minute left.

"Trevor, it's..." It's a picture frame. Of me and Trina. "Thank you." I feel my eyes start to mist over. I haven't seen her face in years.

"Guess what else?" he asks. He puts the frame back in the bag and pulls my hand through the straps. Then his hands are on my hips and he pulls me closer.

"What?" I ask breathlessly. People around me start to count, their eyes on the screen.

5

4

3

2

"Happy New Year."

And he kisses me.

My arms around his neck, my hands in his hair. I kiss him back. Why?

Because...

Because I love him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, uh, it took forever to get up but....worth it? I'll let the votes answer that question. ♥