"You know, Miss Fine, you really aren't the brightest..."

36: "You know, Miss Fine, you really aren't the brightest..."

A couple weeks pass. Trevor reminds me of what it's like to be human, Clarice reminds me of what it's like to be a girl. Clarice hasn't quite gotten over Matt yet, so we've spent our lunches at Janice's table. She professes to hate our guts but she has yet to leave the table, so I figure we're good.

"So where does Steve go to college?" Clarice asks, grimacing as she bites into the cafeteria version of a salad. Steve has been her favorite lunch topic for a while now. Not because she likes him, as Janice has assumed, but because, as she's whispered to me multiple times, she thinks Janice has a thing for him.

"That university nearby. What is it, USC?" Everyone knows USC. She was either playing dumb or just an idiot.

"Wow, isn't that expensive?" Clarice asks. It's a private school, after all.

"He got a scholarship and this job is holding down the rest," Janice explains.

"She likes him. She definitely likes him," Clarice whispers when Janice goes to throw out her trash.

"Will you stop playing matchmaker?" I ask in annoyance. "I mean, really, how does that even make sense?"

"She definitely knows more about his business than a normal employer would." I can't really vouch for that.

"That doesn't mean she likes him," I hiss as I see Janice return.

"Fine. But I know Steve has a soft spot for her." I shake my head in disgust, despite the fact that I get the feeling she's onto something.

"Gossiping, ladies?" Janice asks with a raised eyebrow. "When will you go back to your little friends?" She wiggles her fingers disgustedly at the table where the others are sitting.

"We like chilling with you, Janice. Is that so wrong?" Clarice has either had a massive change of heart or she's really desperate to avoid Matt. Janice assumes the latter.

"You're just avoiding him," she says in annoyance. "You're such a wimp."

"I am not a wimp!" Clarice yells, standing up. Janice is the only one who can goad her like this.

"Fine. I dare you to go over there and ask what the French homework was." Janice sits back with a satisfied smirk on her face. Clarice gets up and tugs on my arm, but Janice shakes her head. "Alone."

Clarice steels herself, stands up, and walks over to the table.

"You're helping her get over him, aren't you?" I ask.

"Why do you always assume the best in everyone?" Janice asks in disgust. "I was trying to make her uncomfortable." I see Christa walk by our table and seat herself next to Trevor. That used to be my seat.

"Not everyone," I say, glaring at her. Janice laughs.

"She's making a move on your man. Aren't you going to do anything?"

"What are you talking about?" I lie, eyeing the two from across the room. I refuse to act out of jealousy. It makes you do openly embarrassing things.

"You know, if you just leave him alone, you'll lose him," Janice says.

"Thank you for the helpful advice," I say, knowing the idea of helping me will shut her up.

"I'm trying to get you to go over there and get away from me!" Janice moans. By now Clarice has come back.

"Did you see me?" she squeals excitedly. "I didn't stammer or anything!" she turns to Janice. "Looks like I kicked your ass."

"You sure did," Janice says, rolling her eyes and putting her hands up in surrender.

"Hey, are we still up for the movies tonight?" Spike asks me and Clarice. He's standing right behind Clarice, causing her to blush slightly.

"Yeah, who else is coming?" I ask.

"Well, the guys said they'd be tired after practice, so..."

Translation: "I didn't invite any of the other guys. I was hoping it would be the closest thing to a date with Clarice as I can get at this point."

"You coming?" I ask Janice.

"Whatever. I'll have to tell Steve," Janice says.

"Bring him along," I say with a smile. Janice just let's out an enormous sigh.

"Sure, whatever."

Translation: "I'd love to come and having Steve along sounds like fun."

Three years of people watching has served me well. It's only when the bell rings that I realize what I've done. I've setup a double date. And I'll be the fifth wheel. Shit.

"I'm an idiot!" I yell at the TV for the fifth time.

"You know, Miss Fine, you really aren't the brightest..." Mr. Sheffield says on screen. I peel off a sock and throw it at him.

"I know!"

"Know what?" comes a voice from behind me.

I try not to let my surprise show.

"Trevor, when'd you get in?" He shrugs.

"Like 20 minutes ago. I figured I'd shower before I say hello. See that? I'm courteous and what do I get? Some little punk throwing stinky socks at my TV."

I roll my eyes, but Trevor plops down on the couch and lays his head on my lap.

"Don't give me any attitude young lady, you have to make it up to me somehow." Suddenly I get an idea. I whip out my phone and call Janice.

"Hey, are you still bringing Steve?"
"Yeah. Why?"
"Just wondering."
"You should bring Trevor along," Janice says.
"What?" How did she know?
"You'll be the fifth wheel, you know. It'll be a nice date for you." I can hear the smirk in her voice.
"Not a date!" I say, a little louder than expected. Trevor looks at me and Janice chuckles.
"Whatever. Either way it'll be awkward. That's why I'm inviting Steve along."

Translation: "You have just provided me with an excellent excuse to bring Steve along."

I hang up and turn to Trevor.

"Well? How are you going to make this up to me?" he demands from my lap. I realize a bit too late that I've been playing with his hair again.

"How about a movie?" He opens one eye to squint at me.

"Like a date?"

"No!" I say in exasperation. "Like a group of friends are going to the movies and I'll pay for your ticket."

"Then I'll pay for dinner," Trevor says, jumping out of my lap and heading for the stairs.

"Mom, Dad! Haley and I are going to the movies with some friends!" Dad peers down from the banister.

"Sounds nice. Trevor, why don't you buy her dinner, too." Trevor nods and opens the coat closet, grabbing his leather motorcycle jacket and my hand.

"Let's go," he says. I just stare. I love that jacket on him. This isn't a date, right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You guys be the judge. Is this a date?

Meanwhile, I've gone back and edited out a lot of my rambling rants. Let me know if you think I still need to shorten them!

I've been featured in another Wattpad magazine! This time it's The Wattpad Insider & More by X2sweetforyouX

Now I haven't been the best of updaters, so let's give me some incentive, yes? Let's try 200 votes by August 5th, shall we? And then I'll post two chapters. :)