The deadfall of the Angels

Sherlock and John waited a good twenty minutes before the Doctor came back, pale white and quivering, as if he had just seen a Dalek.

Sherlock demanded, “Well, is Donna there?”

The Doctor remained silent. Then after a few seconds he stammered, “Sorry, no, no, I suppose she’s down, maybe in the TARDIS, no saying, dunno…”

“Doctor? John asked tentatively, “is everything okay?”

“No, no, nothings okay, you two need to see something.” He held a little scrap of muddy paper in his trembling hands as he carefully led the other two into the garden.

*                                  *                                  *                                  *                     

The lift with Donna within had reached the tenth floor. The lift doors opened pleasantly and the minute Donna stepped out; she was greeted by a hoard of Weeping Angels. “You have got to be kidding me.” She said slowly, as she backed into the lift, trying to keep her eyes on every single Angel that was staring so maliciously at her. Maintaining her position, her fingers searched for any floor that was safe. She took a deep breath and thought, “Think Donna, think!”

If most of the Angels had already come onto all these floors, and was now attacking people, the tenth floor should be the best place to go, since most of the Angels must’ve moved from there. With a triumphant “HA!” she pressed the button to the tenth floor and thought to herself, “Call me Sherlock Holmes, eh!”

The lift dinged to the tenth floor. Donna stepped out of the lift and moaned, “Oh no-“

The Angels were everywhere. Her heart was now pounding in her chest. “What if the Doctor’s already in the TARDIS?”

She tried to back into the lift. The lift doors had shut faster than they were supposed to, or was she just imagining that? Whatever it was, she was now feeling extremely insecure, like she had when the Ood were about to use their translator orbs on them…where was the Doctor? And what about Sherlock and John? Donna felt exhausted she slid against the lift door. There was now way out. She was trapped. This spurred her to doing the best thing that she could do. She screamed.

*                                  *                                  *                                  *                                  *                     

The Doctor, Sherlock and John were just about to reach the bushes, when they heard Donna’s scream. The Doctor whipped around and shouted “Donna! Where are you!”

He ran so fast that he nearly tripped into the welcoming arms of a weeping Angel. But the Doctor couldn’t have cared less. Donna was safe and she was okay…hopefully.

Donna’s relieved voice echoed outside the garden, “I’m here, thank god, oh Doctor!”

The Doctor’s smiling face met Donna’s and she stood up to give him a hug. The Doctor was about to embrace her when John’s loud clear voice cut across the garden, ‘Doctor behind you!”

The Doctor wheeled around, but it was already too late. A weeping Angel had managed to sneak her hand on the Doctor’s shoulder. The Doctor didn’t even have time to react before his tall, skinny figure dissolved into thin air. The paper in his hand was now in the Angel’s.

Donna stared at the spot, her mouth barely able to form any words. Sherlock and John were running, avoiding the Angels whose outstretched hands were groping the empty air before them. Donna stammered, her eyes beginning to well up with tears,  “The Doctor,” she whispered, her voice heavy with emotion, “But he was-“