Flashback 1

Flashback 1

9 Years Ago...

"Run, Danielle!" screamed Nick, who shoved me. I looked at him. My brother was only this scared when...

Just then I heard loud stomping that interrupted my thoughts. My older brother grabbed my arm and dragged me to his room. Together we dove into the small closet, barley wide enough for the both of us to stand in.

I smacked my head on the floor. I started to scream when Nick's hand clapped over my mouth.

Then I realized it.

Daddy was home.

"Suzanne!" I heard my father shout as his footsteps came into the house. "Where are you!"

Oh, no...he was going to kill Mommy!

I struggled against Nick's grip, but he refused to let go. 'Mommy!' my mind shrieked.

"Yes, dear?" answered my mother. "What's wrong?"

"Where's Danielle? I got a call from school that she got in trouble!"

My brother and I both froze.

I heard the shake of her voice. "Arthur, can't you just leave her? For God's sake, she's only seven -"

At that moment, I heard the most horrible CRASH I'd ever heard in my life. "Don't interrupt me, woman! You're only hear to cook and clean. You only talk when I say to!"

I buried my face in Nick's chest, feeling him shiver. Most ten year old boys wouldn't show emotion like he did - but then, we weren't exactly a normal family.

I could hear crying. "Danielle," sang Daddy in a sorta creepy voice, "where are you? I don't think this is the time for" - his voice dropped into a deadly tone - "hide and seek."

I swallowed. "N-Nick?" I whimpered.

Suddenly my brother kneeled down and held my face in his hands. "Listen, Danielle," he said. "You are going to yank all my clothes off the hangers. Next you'll empty out the shoes from the box over there. And then your going to stuff the clothes in the walls of the clear shoe box."

I nodded and proceeded to do this. When I was done he gave me more instructions. "Now hide in that box. It's going to be uncomfortable, but -"

Nick was cut off by his bedroom door swinging opening. I didn't even have time to gasp. My brother grabbed me and threw me into the box. I winced and curled up my legs, as Nick grabbed the leftover clothes and shoes and put them on top of me.

Just as he finished I heard the door open. "Where's Danielle?!" Daddy yelled.

"I dunno," answered Nick. I could tell he was struggling to keep an innocent, blank face.

"Liar!" I winced as my father punched his stomach. I swallowed and bit my lip to keep from crying.

This was my life.

My horrible, terrible life.