The Funeral: Part 2

The Funeral: Part 2

*Sean*

I licked my lips as the entire funeral, it seemed, turned to face me. The pastor nodded and gestured for me to come up next to the podium. I slowly walked up and stood in his place, before clearing my throat.

I was ready to begin my rehearsed speech when I felt someone's cold stare on me. I craned my neck and saw Nick, Danielle's older brother, glaring at me. I could read his expression perfectly: "I'm going to kick his ass to next week."

I gulped and stared into the crowd, but now, the pressure of their eyes was getting to me. My little speech was gone.

Suddenly, I had a flashback of a week ago, when Ashley had forced me to "confess my love" as a prank. I remember the look on Danielle's face as she gasped, "W-What?" when my ex had told her it was all fake.

I rubbed my forehead and cleared my throat for the second time, stalling. Now that my speech was gone, I needed to improvise. "S-So..."

I sniffed, looked at my shoes for a moment, and then looked back up to face the crowd. "I'm sorry."

"Huh?" murmured the people in the funeral.

I sighed. "I said, 'I'm sorry.' It's something that everyone has said today, probably to Nick and Mrs. Miller. And it's something that's overused, especially during times like these, but not said nearly enough."

I went on, "Everyone is probably hurt by this, or at least, hopefully. Some of you might be like, 'Oh, well it's just another one of those really depressing teenage suicides.' But it's not. Danielle, even if you don't think it, had a really, really crappy life."

"In this...this note..." I pulled it out of my pocket. "It says, that she was always abused by her father, and so was Nick and her mother. I practically ripped her heart out in front of her eyes when I played her, and the same year, she was raped."

Gasps floated all around. "That's right. Just thirteen, the poor girl was raped. And whats worse, is that everyone always bullied her. And its my fault. All my fault. But I can't take it back, no one can. No matter how many times you say 'sorry', it won't bring her back. So just hold your damn tongue, the next time you feel like apologizing to Mrs. Millers, Nick, or...me." I bit my lower lip, looking at Ashley.

"Because, I...I loved her. The worst is..." Tears swam in my eyes. "I only found out the day that Danielle killed herself. This. This...it's real pain. You don't know what it feels like, but I do-"

Then, I was cut off by the screams.

***
*Nick*

I couldn't take it anymore. Hearing this little shit talking about my little sister as if he was even capable of having feelings for her. But the moment he claimed to "love" her, I felt the rage rip out of my chest.

"LIAR!!!" I screamed, and everyone spun around to face me in shock. "YOU DESTROYED HER!!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU DID TO HER! SHE LOVED YOU, AND YOU RUBBED IT IN HER FUCKING FACE!!! DANIELLE WOULD HAVE LIVED IF IT WEREN'T FOR YOU!"

Sean's eyebrows raised as my mom hissed, "Nick!" Tears streamed down his eyes as he whispered, "I...I..."

"OH, COME HERE YOU LITTLE FUCKER, LET ME SHOW YOU WHAT ACTUAL PAIN FEELS LIKE! YOUR LUCKY IF I DON'T RIP YOUR EYES OUT AND FEED THEM TO YOU!!!" I ran up to him, prepared to kill him.

"Noo! Nick!" my cousin, Jerry, grabbed my arms to hold me back. Sean backed away, looking horrified. "WHAT?! NEVER BEEN IN A FIGHT, LITTLE PREP?!" I yelled, pushing off my cousin and grabbing Sean's collar.