Chapter 8: The True Protector

~Fritjof's POV~

I studied Ylva's new hairstyle, my eyes half-lidded to make it look like I was bored.

"Fritjof. How long should it take before I can stand and walk?"

"Not much longer. Just a couple hours."

"Can you speed up the healing process with a different herbal mixture?" I shook my head at her silly questions.

"If I could've I would've done it already." I muttered, folding my arms across my chest.

"Can you use mag-"

"NO!" I shouted, my patience had run out and I found myself staring into Ylva's fear-filled eyes. I flinched away, my hands shaking. I hated the fearful look in her eyes, it killed me to see her so vulnerable.

"S-sorry." I say, walking to my mini-fridge. I knelt down in front of the fridge, grabbing out my freshest herbal mixture, walking over to her and holding it up.

"This is to draw the frost out. But if it doesn't work, then, well, your whole right arm will be frozen. But there is no telling what other side effects may come." I mumble, applying the mixture carefully to the frost on her torso. On contact, the mixture hissed as well as Ylva, her hands fisting in the sheets. I applied more carefully and she relaxed. Once applied even more, she let out a small yelp and I stopped, grabbing my numbing agent and applying some to the area around the wound, letting her relax.Once I finished with applying the herbal mixture and wrapping bandages around the gauze I put over it, I stood, letting Ylva go to sleep. I stepped out into the hallway, going to take my nightly walk.

Night had fallen and a beautiful full moon shone over the school grounds. I was dressed warmly with my dark green cloak thrown over my shoulders and the hood over my head. Then there was a snap and I whirled around, doing a full 360 of my surroundings. Standing behind me was none other than Thyra Thordottir.

"Well, well. If it isn't the herbalist that mouthed off my brother." She purred, her grey/blue eyes twinkling evilly. I clenched my hands into fists at my sides, glaring at her.

"What do you want Thyra?"

"Nothing that should concern you, little Fritjof. You know, after all these years, I have finally found the one thing that shall get in the way of my plans."

"What is that exactly?" I asked, my black eyebrows arched. She only raised one blond eyebrow and I felt my eyes widen.

"Me?" I asked, my hand touching my chest just barely. She nodded, walking around me and studying me as if I was a display at some old museum in Midgard.

"Yes indeed. It is you." She said in a low tone, looking up at my face in wonder almost.

"Now. You hear me out, 'daughter of Thor'." I said, putting air quotes around the daughter of Thor part before fisting my hands and pointing an accusing finger at her.

"I don't care what this little 'plan' is of yours, but whatever it is. It has to do with Ylva and you better back off. Because I will do whatever I have to do to protect her." I growled, my eyes glowing with an unnatural green light. She looked taken aback at my anger. Backpedaling, she tripped and fell, quickly running off but something in the back of my mind told me that the fear in her eyes wasn't real.