Chapter 18

Chapter 18 Extinguisher

Noah's POV

"Mrs. Landon, please."

"I'm sorry, Noah. She doesn't want to see you. I'm sorry."

"But...please, just let me in." I begged stepping closer as Leigh stepped back into the foyer, away from me, slightly closing the door.

It seemed like she wanted to let me in but probably wasn't because Lex wouldn't let her or because I'd seen Cole's truck parked across the street, causing me to ball my hands into fists at the fact that he was actually with her. Usually, he was never at her house. What is going on with them? Why is he there?

"Noah...Cole is here." She said, her voice quiet and timid, looking behind her to make sure no one was listening.

"I know." I sighed, pulling my hand through my hair, tugging at it in frustration.

"I know he's in there, but I need to see Lex."

"I hope the two of you work it out." She said, sounding genuine as she closed the door.

I heard the lock click on the other side, causing me to curse under my breath before shaking my head, collapsing on the front step off the front of their porch. My knees shook and the inside of my cheek was raw because I unintentionally kept biting it out of anger and frustration. She wouldn't answer any of my calls or text messages, but I pulled my phone from my ripped black jeans and dialed her number just in the off chance that she might answer me this time. I waited adamantly, my leg bouncing up and down as she forwarded the call to voicemail. I sighed, huffing under my breath as I waited for the beep.

"Lex, please just call me back. I need you to call me." I strained, my voice giving away that I was in tears.

I wiped my face before continuing, pressing the phone closer to my ear as I sniffled into the mic.

"I'm sorry if I did something. I just want you back. I want to hold you like I did. Please. Okay...call me back...Bye." I muttered, shaking my head as I ended the call, dropping my phone to the cement step, not caring if my screen shattered or not.

........................

On Monday, I tried again. As she came out of history, I tried to catch up with her before she ducked into the bathroom, leaving me standing in the hall alone and truly broken. My chest constantly ached ever since she had left me. Then, in the parking lot later that week, I took advantage of my height to try to catch her in the parking lot, but she quickly jumped into Graham Lewis' truck, a senior who I knew had slept with Lex multiple times during her short separations from Cole. He made me even madder than Cole did only because he was an even bigger asshole, marching around the halls acting as if he owned the place. Once, he'd messed with Luke and I had beaten the crap out of him, pounding him to a pulp at a gas station until someone pulled me off. My dad was livid but eventually admitted that to protect a friend; he would have done the same.

I stood, watching Graham's truck peal out of the parking lot, the tires screeching as he blew through the stop sign. I winced, extremely uncomfortable about the fact that Lex was in that truck. If only she'd stay away from those kinds of assholes, I could tolerate this pain. She's going to fall back into her old lifestyle. I know she will.

I began walking towards my car but not before I felt a hand attach itself to my arm, just under my elbow. I stopped in my tracks, almost toppling over and losing my balance completely before I recovered.

"Hi!" Victoria said and I internally groaned, plastering a fake smile on my face.

Her temporary blue highlights had almost completely faded and I allowed myself to notice how much better she looked with her natural red hair. She was very hot, I had to admit, but she was not my type whatsoever. When we had slept together, I tried to pretend she was Lex. That says a lot.