Chapter 63

Chapter 63 Extinguisher

Alexa's POV

It was easy to escape reality for a little while but soon enough, I was sitting on a plane with my head against Noah's shoulder. I felt melancholy about the entire thing and I knew for sure that Noah did too. Our vacation was great after we managed to get through some arguments and moments of weakness. I'd taken Aaron to get a souvenir shark tooth just like we planned and afterwards, we visited the aquarium, just me and the kid...having the best time ever. I went with Sawyer out to lunch while the rest of our family was napping. We talked and talked and both of us ended up with tears in our eyes, Saw apologizing a hundred times for pushing me away. We talked about my self-harm and how he just couldn't handle it when he found out. He'd shut me out and pretending like everyone else, that I was fine. I couldn't blame him for doing that because I totally understood him. I understood the urge to pretend like nothing is wrong, and just try to move forward, taking it day by day.

I got restless as we walked the parking garage, trying to recall where we parked the cars. Finally we found them on the third level, everyone tired and dragging. Aaron was practically sleepwalking, Ben having to guide his body to my mom's car. I turned to Noah, looking up at into tired eyes to see worry resting in them. As he looked down at me, I grew nervous, his lips parting to speak.

"Lex...I think I need to ride with my dad. I just need to talk to him, okay? He hasn't been himself the whole trip and I think it's time for me to just talk to him. I need to get some things out." He explained, voice hushed as his fingers grazed against my chin.

I nodded, standing on my tiptoes to peck his lip, startled by the sound of Uncle Nick's car horn. Noah turned around, shaking his head at his dad's dumb joke of trying to scare us at this hour. Uncle Nick hadn't been the same on the trip which was reasonable considering he was going through the beginning stages of a separation, his wife finding out about his affair with Noah's mother. Part of me wanted to protect Noah from them but I knew they were his family and he needed to work things out with them.

"Go ahead, Noah. I'm totally fine riding with my family. I want you to work things out." I nodded, reassuring him as I gave him a little nudge in the direction of his father's car.

He took a couple tentative steps but I watched as his body stilled, spinning around on his heels and running up to me so fast that I nearly couldn't comprehend what he was doing. His large hand reached out, grabbing either side of my face, fingertips tangling in my hair as his face neared me. I closed my eyes as his hot lips pressed against mine, moving slowly and delicately against mine. It wasn't one of those mind blowing kisses you see on TV. No, it was just Noah reassuring me, reminding me of his love before he pecked my forehead and turned around.

"I love you, baby." He said over his shoulder and I stood there in that carpark, just watching him, wondering how I'd managed to get so lucky.

He climbed into his dad's car and after a moment, realizing that I was just standing there staring, I quickly hopped into my mom's SUV. Not even five minutes into the drive, Aaron's head fell in my lap and I played with his blonde waves as he slept, my mind still on my tall, lanky lover. I wondered if he'd work things out with his parents and I grew nervous as we approached my house. I wondered if Cole would be there and something was telling me he wouldn't be. My heart ached at the thought of him getting hurt, but I didn't know what else to do. My mother turned around from the passenger seat, her tired eyes meeting mine.

"Lex...It'll be okay. We'll take care of it. I promise."

I nodded, taking my mother for her word because I knew deep down, if she promised something, she'd fight until her last dying breath to make sure she kept it. I knew that I would fight for Cole, not letting anything get in my way.