Chapter 3

I pulled up to the curb of Mercy Hospital. Rayna was finally being released today and to be honest, I was actually pretty excited. I have been up to visit her everyday when I have a moment. I think I like her, she is such a sweet girl and she makes me happy when I'm around her. We talk about sports a lot especially The Dallas Cowboys and we talk about country music a lot and how we both are big Brad Paisley fans. My house is completely spotless for the first time since I've bought it; I've been staying up till 2 in the morning just for her.

  I walk into her room and I see it isn't that same face that I've looked at for the past two weeks. I walk out and see the nurse who has been taking care of her, she sees me and gives me a slight smile.

  "Well I see you are back to visit her Mr. Firefighter."

   "Yes. Where is she? I'm supposed to be taking her home with me today. Is she alright?"

 "Yes. Yes. Do not worry she is fine. She is just getting changed and will be ready to leave in a few minutes."

   "Alright I will just wait her then." I said leaning against the wall with my arms flexed as I crossed them over my chest.

   "That's fine Hun."

 I waited for about ten more minutes until Rayna came out. She looked like she was quite sore as her limbs were so stiff from them not being used in a few days. She walked to me  and  I met her halfway.

 "Hi Duke. Thanks for letting me stay with you. It mean so much to me." 

"Absolutely. I'm not going to have a pretty lady like you living on the streets." I said as a smile spread across her lips, lips that I wanted to kiss, lips that I...

"Duke? What are you looking at?"

"Nothing. Let's go!." I said still staring at that mouth.  I helped her into my truck and drove down the back roads to my ranch. She had her window rolled down and her blonde, wavy hair was blowing in the wind flawlessly. The tips of my hair blew as I was in desperate need of a haircut. I found her smiling and I smiled back as she began to sing along to the radio.

"It's a quarter after one, I'm all alone and I need you now."  The lyrics she sang along to, a song by Lady Antebellum I believe. She had a lovely voice, reminded me of Carrie Underwood. Man she is quite something I thought to myself as I kept on listening to that angelic voice.

"Sorry I always sing in the car. Hope I'm not being a bother to you."

"Oh no! You're not at all. Your incredible."

"Well thank you sir, that is very kind of you to say."

"Anytime darlin."