Ch. 17

~~~~~~~ Duke's POV~~~~~

    I woke up hearing Rosie crying from the monitor. Rayna was already heading out to check on her. I smiled as I crawled out of bed to help. It's been a week since we brought her home and she has completely changed our lives.

    I walked into the nursery and

Rayna was feeding her in the rocking chair. She looked at

me and smiled.

    "My girls."

    "You can go back to sleep if you want."

    "No I'll sit with you if that's okay."

    "Yeah that's fine."

    I watched Rayna hold Rosie till she calmed down and fell back to sleep. Then we both went back to bed and dozed off.

    I woke back up a couple hours later to my pager going off like crazy, I wasn't on call, so for them to page me, it was serious. Well every call is serious, but when you're not on call and your paged, it's even more serious.

      I untangled from Rayna, trying not to wake her. I wrote her a note and then kissed her forehead. I brushed her hair back and smiled. I dressed quickly and then peeked in on Rosie, she was sleeping peacefully. I squeezed her little finger and then hurried to my truck and got in.

      The station was madness, I ran in and asked  what was going on.

    "A hospital, they're trying to get as many out as they can."

    I quickly got my suit on and ran on to one of the trucks. When we pulled up there were already other trucks,trying to extinguish the flames. 

      I jumped out and went for a hose, I could hear people screaming, I haven't been in a building on fire since my accident. My hands were shaking, I ran inside, I helped a man and a woman out, then I ran back on and heard a scream, I followed the sound and there a little boy, he looked to be about 4 years old.

    "My mom... my dad..." he said, coughing as he talked. I looked at the room, this was the original spot where the fire started. His parents were gone...

      "Well let's get you out of here, your mom and dad would want you safe." I picked him up and he held on to me as I carried him out. I carried him out and a doctor looked at him, he didn't have any bad burns, and his lungs seemed to be okay.

    I had tried to leave, but the boy was holding on. "Where is my mom?"

    I sighed, "Bud.. She didn't make it."

    He looked confused, but I think he knew what I was talking about. He had a sad look on his face. "What's your name?"

  "Duke, what's yours?"

  "Toby."

    "How old are you Toby?"

    "Four."

    "You talk very good for a four year old."

    "Thanks."

    —————————————-

    We drove back to the station after the fire was out, Toby was sitting in my lap.

    "So Duke, when we come over and meet your little angel?" Eric said.

    "Whenever you want too."

    "The pictures Rayna has poste are pretty adorable, she looks a lot like you."

    "Yeah she sure does. She's a little night owl."

    "Really?"

    "Oh yeah. She's been getting both of us up. Even if I get up, Rayna has too. I've been trying to let her get some sleep, but she will not put up with that."

      We hopped out of the truck when we were back at the station. Toby was holding on to me like crazy. A social worker was coming with records for family members.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "There's no one?"

    "No. Not one, grandparents are dead and both of his parents had no siblings."

      "Wow."

      "Well I can't get him into a foster home until tomorrow."

        "He can spend the night at my house with my wife and daughter."

        "Okay. Well if he wants too, I don't have a problem with that."

      ''Alright. Hey Toby, want to come stay at my house with my family for the night?"

      ''Yeah!" He ran over, and grabbed on to my hand. I grabbed a car seat and put him in the backseat of my truck. I drove home and helped him out when we got there. I opened the door and Rayna was sitting in the living room, feeding Rosie a bottle.

      ''Well hey you,'' She smiled at me and then looked at Toby. "Well hello, who is this?''

     ''I'm Toby.''

     ''Well it's very nice to meet you Toby, I'm Rayna.''

     ''You're so pretty.'' He said, smiling at Rayna.

    "Well thank you, that just made my day.''

   "Toby is staying the night here. Okay?"

    ''Of course. Here finish feeding Rosie her bottle, I'll make up the guest bed.''

      I nodded my head and finished feeding Rosie, Toby had followed Rayna upstairs. I looked down at my little girl and smiled slightly. "This is what family truly is huh baby girl?"

                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Hey everyone sorry that it took me a little while to update, I have been crazy busy lately, but the new chapter is finally done. I want to say thank you for making this story so successful, over 16,000 reads! That number just completely baffles me, I can not believe how many of you will take time out of your day to sit down and read what I write, so thank you so much! I hope that you like the chapter and keep reading. I think this story is coming to a close very soon, but I do not know when. If you have any ideas or anything you would like to share with me, send me a message or comment. I love hearing what you all have to say. So once again, thank you all so much for reading! I love you all

  ~Katelyn~