2. Did You Forget?

So what happened that night?

Sneaking out wasn't a problem in the house. My foster parents trusted me and let me go out whenever, as long as I told them in advance. But this time, I told them that I was going over to my friend's house. I left after ten, so they wouldn't be too suspicious if I left after midnight. During those two hours, I think I just went for a walk around the neighborhood. Not entirely sure.

Ten minutes before midnight, I was taking the route to the park. On my way there, I saw two black cats playing with each other. The bottom of my foot scrapped the pavement which caused both cats to stop and stare at me. Creeped out, I quickly walked until I saw the entrance to the park. I opened the gate, which let out this loud squeak, and glanced around the place. I didn't know exactly where to go, so I made my way over to a bench and sat down, making sure I had an eye on each entrance.

About two minutes in, I saw movement by the bathrooms. I didn't say anything as I kept my eyes on the movement. The figure stepped away from the bathrooms and revealed their self. The person was dressed in a dark-colored hoodie, but I could still see pieces of light brown hair sticking out of their hood. I suddenly recognized it as someone I went to school with. I didn't know his name, though.

He swiftly made his way over to me. My thoughts were racing. Was he the one who left the note and the shovel? The body in my yard? Did he kill that person?

"Um, here." He shoved another piece of paper on my chest and started to walk away. "Wait!"

"I have to go," He quickly said.

"Did you... did you kill-"

"Hell no!" He turned back to me with his eyebrows furrowed with a crazy look in his eye. "Some jackhole is blackmailing me, and one of the things I had to do is meet you here and give you that. See you later, hopefully." He breathed out.

He quickly ran towards the entrance I came from. I stared back at him in disbelief. So the same person who was blackmailing him, is blackmailing me? Or is he actually the one doing this to me?

I bit my lip, highly confused at the events that were happening so quickly. I held up the piece of folded paper and unfolded it. On the note, it read:

Sweet sweet lady. She could have been my baby, but she knew too much. Recognize that rotten body in your yard? No? I'll give you another hint: Halloween night and your drunk driving.

I gasped, feeling ashamed of myself. It was almost a year ago. Halloween, one of the worst nights of my life.