Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Laurane woke me way too early for my taste, as per usual. It was only 7:30, and classes didn’t even start until 8:00. I had set my alarm to 7:55 for a reason.

“Sammi, get up!” Laurane exclaimed, yanking the blankets off of my bed, “You need to get ready for school!”

I groaned and covered my face with one of my pillows. “No,” I moaned, “I don’t want to get up. Besides, I need my beauty sleep. Let me go back to bed.”

Laurane laughed that quiet, little laugh of hers. “You’re already beautiful,” she said, “So please get up.”

I made a not-so-nice gesture with my middle finger, but Laurane knew that I was only joking. We kidded around with each other like that a lot.

Since I had made it perfectly clear that I wasn’t going to be making any effort to get out of bed, Laurane did the only thing that she knew that would get me up.

She dumped a glass of ice-cold water on my head.

Shrieking, I jumped out of bed, frustrated that she had won. I shook my now-wet hair at her, and then I walked across our room to get the adjacent bathroom that we had.

I figured that since I was already – unwillingly – awake and out of bed, I might as well make the time I had useful, and actually get ready for school.

I walked into the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror. I looked alright, I guessed. I looked more tired then anything else. That wasn’t good.

Getting to work, I curled my long, dark brown hair, which was so dark that it looked black at times. Then I applied some eyeliner and mascara to my big, chocolate brown eyes, and I even put on some lip-gloss.

When I was finished with that, I went over to my closet and picked out a lacy red tank top and a short black skirt. I topped off the look with a pair of adorable black heels. When I looked in the mirror, I was pleased to say that I was satisfied.

I walked back into our room, and when Laurane saw me, all she did was roll her eyes dramatically.

“You are going to get into so much trouble for wearing that,” she reminded me, “You know that we have a dress code.””

I shrugged, as if that didn’t possibly matter, but I knew that Laurane was right. Our school’s dress code was pretty strict, and I was probably going to get into trouble for wearing this.

I usually got into trouble for what I wore. And for how I acted. I was careless and reckless a lot of the time, while Laurane was a perfect little angel. With her long blonde hair and bright blue eyes, she even looked like an angel.

The boarding school that Laurane and I attended was called A.B.S, which was short for Atlanta Boarding School. Original, right? They were really strict on their rules, and they had all sorts of them. That was why I often found myself in Mrs. Bibich’s office.