Chapter 18

Chapter 18

It was Friday.

It was also, coincidentally, the last day of school before Spring Break.

Thank God.

My alarm went off at 7:00, which was obviously way too early for my taste. Laurane wasn’t even awake yet.

I decided that instead of going back to bed, like I usually would have done, I would take advantage of being the only one awake, and get first dibs on the shower.

20 minutes later, I got out of the shower and wrapped myself in a towel. I walked over to my dresser, and I saw that Laurane was now awake and waiting to use the shower.

Without saying even one word to me, she strode on by me and locked herself inside the bathroom.

Well, I guessed that Laurane still wasn’t talking to me, but whatever.

I got dressed in a light pink t-shirt with a low neckline that had a broken heart on it – how ironic, a short black skirt, and white flip-flops.

I blow-dried my hair and brushed it out until I had nice, soft waves.

Then I put on a locket necklace that Laurane had given me years ago. The locket had a picture of us being really goofy and silly in it.

I didn’t always wear it, but today I did. I wanted to show Laurane that I wasn’t mad at her or anything.

Laurane walked out of the bathroom already dressed and ready to go – she got ready quickly, while it always took me forever.

Laurane looked amazing, as usual.

She was wearing white shorts, a yellow tank top, and black shoes. Laurane also had her hair in two braids that fell nicely over her shoulders.

I smiled at Laurane when she looked at me, but she didn’t smile back, or even say anything.

Wonderful.

I decided to take some initiative and say something.

“Good morning,” I casually said as we walked outside.

Laurane looked at me and said, “What’s so good about it?” in a snotty tone of voice that she had perfected over the years – although she rarely used it on me.

I almost groaned out loud. I didn’t have time for Laurane to act like this, and she knew it.

“Well, a lot of things,” I said, trying to stay cheerful while playing along, “For instance, we’re together and hanging out right now.”